Point motors

I have a Peco double slip with a faulty spring. I know they can be replaced but the underneath of the slip is damaged. I don't really want to fork out the best part of £50 for a new point and I don't want to take up the one I have. Does anyone make a point motor with built in over centre spring? That would be the simplest way to sort it.

For a manual solution try an On/On slide switch mounted beneath the tie bar. This also changes frog polarity. I have used the on 7mm Peco points but with a more flexible connecting wire I see no reason why it shouldn't work in 4,mm.

23 hours ago, doilum said:

For a manual solution try an On/On slide switch mounted beneath the tie bar. This also changes frog polarity. I have used the on 7mm Peco points but with a more flexible connecting wire I see no reason why it shouldn't work in 4,mm.

It does and pretty well too.

• Thanks 1

I have replaced many Peco point springs without removing the point from the baseboard, prize the clips sideways and the carrier comes free, then it a quite frustrating couple of hours trying to fit the spring.   Alternatively If you already have the hole for the seep drive peg then the Seep PM4 should be ideal, but if not the peco adaptor base is designed for this situation and has  PECO over centre spring fitted.  I find you have to remove either the point spring or the adaptor base spring to get the Peco motor to throw the point . 

On 25/04/2022 at 19:09, doilum said:

IMG_20220422_165733.jpg.1f0a0c9246daee0627cbae8ead45195e.jpgI remembered that I had taken this shot of a unit for the new test track Wheldon. ( Industrial rly thread).

The switch is around £1,50 and the rest came from my scrap brass box. The essential bits are the two concentric square brass tubes.

Edited by doilum

• RMweb Gold
On 25/04/2022 at 14:18, Les Bird said:

I have a Peco double slip with a faulty spring. I know they can be replaced but the underneath of the slip is damaged. I don't really want to fork out the best part of £50 for a new point and I don't want to take up the one I have. Does anyone make a point motor with built in over centre spring? That would be the simplest way to sort it.

I don't understand the issue. You can replace the spring from the top. Just prise off the cover and drop the new spring in.  At one time, peco supplied replacement springs for free, I don't know if they still do. 

Ian

30 minutes ago, ikcdab said:

I don't understand the issue. You can replace the spring from the top. Just prise off the cover and drop the new spring in.  At one time, peco supplied replacement springs for free, I don't know if they still do. 

Ian

Not with this one. It's the older type with the spring cover underneath and, as I said, the underneath is damaged