Project Builds, Detailing, Painting, Weathering

MTH 2rail DCC?

Can anyone please tell me if a MTH 2 rail engine with protosound 3 can be operated on DCC? The engine has ‘scale’ wheels and looks to be a factory conversion, but the info on the box doesn’t mention DCC, only DCS P3.

Cheers

Martin

Hi Tony,

I’ve done a bit of digging and found that later MTH locos with Protosound 3 and DCS have a DCC Decoder installed and available via a small switch under the front trucks. They’re programmable using DCC CV values and will accept short or long addresses with a bit of adjustment. All the DCS  functions appear to work from most DCC controllers. The DCC command list is a bit different from a lot of others and uses F3 for the prime mover start up procedure. F1 is still the bell and F2 the horn.

Engine with Protosound 2 are NOT DCC compatible and will require a complete rewrite and installation of a suitable decoder.

Cheers

Martin

Edited by Marmight
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

I have a number of MTH Protosound 3 locomotives (which all can be controlled with a DCC system) but have not seen any small switch under the front trucks.

On the MTH website all instruction booklets for all locomotives can be downloaded; maybe that will help?

Regards

Fred

Edited by sncf231e
  • Agree 1

I have downloaded the instruction manual for the particular model, and there is a small switch under the front trucks marked dcs/DCC.

if the truck is turned to the right, just under the now exposed moulding there is the slider switch.

Edited by Marmight