DJH WD 2-8-0 in 4mm

I have recently started building a DJH WD 2-8-0 kit, starting with the tender. It will be a fair weight when fully assembled, and I am not sure what size/type of motor would be needed for the loco (it will not be required to haul multi-wagon trains). Also, in assembling the tender chassis, it has not been easy to create the solder joints for the main white metal components. I have recently acquired a Antex soldering station, which seems to work well, but I am not sure what temperature I should set it at for safe white metal soldering with low-melt solder. I started at 120 degrees, but have nudged it up to 150, and I am not sure the joints are as strong as they might be, although the basic chassis does hold together alright so far!  Any tips here gratefully received. 

I use 225 degrees for white metal and 400 degrees for brass. Hotter than used by a lot of other people (based on comments posted) ....but it works for me!

Jon

Edited by Jon4470
Clarification
  • Agree 1

Hi - motor choice is often a compromise between what you really want and what will fit without showing itself anywhere. I've never built one of these but I suspect the relatively slim firebox will be the limiting factor. In these post-Mashima days it's harder to get something really suitable, but I've recently bought a 1227 motor from Taff Vale Models that looks very decent. (No connection). I would also recommend High Level for gearboxes as the variety allows you to make the best use of space, and there's lots of advice on their website, including profiles of the carious types that you can print off. I would suggest making an outline drawing of the loco and, allowing for the thickness of the metal, overlay it with drawings of gearboxes and motors until you hit on a combination that fits.

• Agree 1