Signalling help needed

Can any of you knowledgeable folks help with the signalling for my layout?

This is one area of modelling that is hazy to say the least.I was planning on using a mixture of 2 aspect lights for the main and semaphore for the rest.

All help greatly appreciated.

Regards

Colin @gorleston

post-6258-12567582285403_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Can any of you knowledgeable folks help with the signalling for my layout?

This is one area of modelling that is hazy to say the least.I was planning on using a mixture of 2 aspect lights for the main and semaphore for the rest.

All help greatly appreciated.

Regards

Colin @gorleston

You can't use 2-aspects except for starting (section) signals or repeaters (distants)

Any more prototype information ?

Where / when / company ?

(Been a while since I've been to see James Paget (I work on hospital systems and have done a lot of work there over the years, unless you have problems with appointments then it wasn't me) :) )

You can't use 2-aspects except for starting (section) signals or repeaters (distants)

Any more prototype information ?

Where / when / company ?

(Been a while since I've been to see James Paget (I work on hospital systems and have done a lot of work there over the years, unless you have problems with appointments then it wasn't me) :) )

I was planning on using the 2 aspects fairly close to platforms 1 & 2 (main) as i'm not sure that the layout is long enough to warrant the use of distants, essentially what you see of that track plan is my entire layout.

My dilemma comes with the signals for the bay platform, the yard and the branch line that I added

• RMweb Gold

I was planning on using the 2 aspects fairly close to platforms 1 & 2 (main) as i'm not sure that the layout is long enough to warrant the use of distants, essentially what you see of that track plan is my entire layout.

My dilemma comes with the signals for the bay platform, the yard and the branch line that I added

I mentioned distants purely as the other type which can be 2-aspect, with the track plan it's very unlikely you would have 2-aspect homes, so it's either 3-aspect or semaphores - your choice.

Is this it ? (ignoring the sidings, these are the bits the signals would control)

post-6662-12567610866073_thumb.jpg

I mentioned distants purely as the other type which can be 2-aspect, with the track plan it's very unlikely you would have 2-aspect homes, so it's either 3-aspect or semaphores - your choice.

Is this it ? (ignoring the sidings, these are the bits the signals would control)

post-6662-12567610866073_thumb.jpg

Semaphores it is then.....I think they look better anyway with kettles on the layout.

What you have drawn is pretty close to what I have except at the far left is a crossover for the top 2 tracks ( for locos to run-around)

As far as the yard goes could I get away with ground signals?

And finally, the line drawn in red on the track plan is my fictitious branch what type and where would it be signalled?

• RMweb Gold

Semaphores it is then.....I think they look better anyway with kettles on the layout.

What you have drawn is pretty close to what I have except at the far left is a crossover for the top 2 tracks ( for locos to run-around)

As far as the yard goes could I get away with ground signals?

And finally, the line drawn in red on the track plan is my fictitious branch what type and where would it be signalled?

Changing the pink siding (or adding it) to a branch line substantially alters the signalling, not sure how you see it working, it trails in well away from the platforms ? Is it freight only ?

You will need some trap points at least if you add the branch

Let's get the track plan right and I will signal it for you

Is this correct ?

post-6662-12568095976089_thumb.jpg

Changing the pink siding (or adding it) to a branch line substantially alters the signalling, not sure how you see it working, it trails in well away from the platforms ? Is it freight only ?

You will need some trap points at least if you add the branch

Let's get the track plan right and I will signal it for you

Is this correct ?

post-6662-12568095976089_thumb.jpg

That looks to be correct, I had envisioned the branch to be a single line, token operated from a box further down the main and the terminus branchline stations box...does that make sense to you?

• RMweb Gold

That looks to be correct, I had envisioned the branch to be a single line, token operated from a box further down the main and the terminus branchline stations box...does that make sense to you?

Not sure that would work, there has to be somewhere to exchange the tokens, the box would be up at the junction, also the branch doesn't have any platforms unless you are assuming a platform down the line ?

Is this a terminus btw ?

Not sure that would work, there has to be somewhere to exchange the tokens, the box would be up at the junction, also the branch doesn't have any platforms unless you are assuming a platform down the line ?

Is this a terminus btw ?

Not a terminus, Gorleston was a thru station on the old Liverpool St-Yarmouth Southtown line. The branch is a fictitious addition going off to Belton about 3 miles away. That was originally (Belton) on the Yarmouth Southtown- Beccles line that joined my main just outside of Southtown.

In this scenario I'm imagining that a train coming from the Liverpool St direction would pass a signal box at Corton about 5 miles away and tokens could be exchanged there. From the Belton end , this station would have its' own box.....

Would that work?

• RMweb Gold

Every time I look at this arrangement for the branch line the more puzzled I become. It might be me of course but at present I can't work out how a train would get onto the branch - does it run as a a parallel single line all the way from Corton (or is that Hopton - see below?) where you have suggested token working would start/end?

I'm also a bit confused about the geography as I understood Gorleston to be on the M&GN branch from Yarmouth to Lowestoft (albeit with a connection from the GE station at Yarmouth South Town) and that the next station south was Hopton, not Corton.

Apart from introducing a junction the signalling would be that of a simple through station albeit with the original loading dock converted to a bay platform but as Beast has already noted converting p[art of the goods yard into a branch will complicate things - hence my initial question.

Every time I look at this arrangement for the branch line the more puzzled I become. It might be me of course but at present I can't work out how a train would get onto the branch - does it run as a a parallel single line all the way from Corton (or is that Hopton - see below?) where you have suggested token working would start/end?

I'm also a bit confused about the geography as I understood Gorleston to be on the M&GN branch from Yarmouth to Lowestoft (albeit with a connection from the GE station at Yarmouth South Town) and that the next station south was Hopton, not Corton.

Apart from introducing a junction the signalling would be that of a simple through station albeit with the original loading dock converted to a bay platform but as Beast has already noted converting p[art of the goods yard into a branch will complicate things - hence my initial question.

Gorleston had quite a list of owners.....Norfolk and Suffolk joint, GE, GN and Mid,LNER in amalgamation with LMS, it was also able to connect to Yarmouth Beach but that's beside the point.

I'm beginning to think that I had a brain fart adding that branchline.

After having read your post I went and looked at the layout and you are absolutely right, unless the line ran as a parrallel line (which it can't right now) trains could only go in the direction of Lowestoft.

So I think my only option is to move the point towards the station itself and use it as another siding ( maybe for excess Easterling coaches)

Sorry about the confusion guys....all my fault!

So, what will the signalling be for the thru station?

• RMweb Gold

Not sure I'm 100% clear on what the current proposal is ...

Can you draw your track plan Colin, however rough ? the signalling will be different if you have a branch coming in ...

Or is it as I have drawn it but with the branch a plain siding ?

Not sure I'm 100% clear on what the current proposal is ...

Can you draw your track plan Colin, however rough ? the signalling will be different if you have a branch coming in ...

Or is it as I have drawn it but with the branch a plain siding ?

It's as you have drawn it with the "branch" now being an additional siding.

Looking forward to making a start on the signalling....Thanks

• RMweb Gold

Like this ?

post-6662-1257110483843_thumb.jpg

I need to get the plan right as the signalling takes longer to do, and it would potentially have been quite different depending upon the branch location, now the branch has gone its back to a conventional layout.

Like this ?

post-6662-1257110483843_thumb.jpg

I need to get the plan right as the signalling takes longer to do, and it would potentially have been quite different depending upon the branch location, now the branch has gone its back to a conventional layout.

Hi Beast

Thanks so much for bearing with this idiot. I have managed to get a hand drawn track plan scanned into my computer, so here it is. ( the diamonds at the far right indicate just that, a diamond crossing. I'm not sure if that should be a slip as the quality of my track plan is not quite good enough to see that detail)

If you think it should be a slip, please let me know and I'll just tear that piece out and redo it......I really want to get this right!

post-6258-12571140666663_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Hi Colin,

I have assumed the right hand yard is a crossing rather than a slip but it doesn't sit well with me, I have a strong feeling it should be a slip, but then I'm an LNWR man so ...

I have drawn this as a straight forward signalling, local conditions might mean things like an additional home signal protecting the platform and yard connections on the "right to left" line but I'm guessing the model will be compressed so it would look strange.

I have also assumed yellow ground signals, sometimes these were provided, sometimes the arms were red and local knowledge meant they could be passed at danger for shunts, sometimes they were worked for both the shunt and the main move, sometimes a multiple arm would be provided, such are the joys of signalling every one is different !

post-6662-12571561064756_thumb.jpg

Hi Colin,

I have assumed the right hand yard is a crossing rather than a slip but it doesn't sit well with me, I have a strong feeling it should be a slip, but then I'm an LNWR man so ...

I have drawn this as a straight forward signalling, local conditions might mean things like an additional home signal protecting the platform and yard connections on the "right to left" line but I'm guessing the model will be compressed so it would look strange.

I have also assumed yellow ground signals, sometimes these were provided, sometimes the arms were red and local knowledge meant they could be passed at danger for shunts, sometimes they were worked for both the shunt and the main move, sometimes a multiple arm would be provided, such are the joys of signalling every one is different !

post-6662-12571561064756_thumb.jpg

Thanks for that Dave.......I recognise the home, distant and ground signals, but could you please clarify what the small red symbols are?

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for that Dave.......I recognise the home, distant and ground signals, but could you please clarify what the small red symbols are?

They are ground signals - with red arms.

There are probably too many for most prototypes so you could lose some of them, leave the ones controlling exit from the yard, these are the most likely to be provided, also the ones controlling the crossover, the others would possibly be not provided and a wave from the signalbox would suffice.

hth

Archived