Midland Fonts

Morning all

Could some kind soul help me by letting me know what font midland railway used on there engines around 1910. I know it's one of the serrif fonts but can't narrow it down 5 hours of serching the internet has failed to find it.

Mark

Morning all

Could some kind soul help me by letting me know what font midland railway used on there engines around 1910. I know it's one of the serrif fonts but can't narrow it down 5 hours of serching the internet has failed to find it.

Mark

"Midland Style" as previously published by HMRC has the fonts used by the MR. For the locomotives an alternative is vol. 1 of "An Illustrated Review of Midland Locomotives" by R J Essery (Wild Swan).

• RMweb Premium

As far as I know it wasn't an official font but what the Derby signwriter's used. Transfers with them on are available from the HMRS in both 4mm and 7mm.

However Midland Style, (Long out of print) is the book to get hold of. I think it was published by the HMRS.

Jamie

• RMweb Gold

Midland Style was indeed published by HMRS, my copy was published in1975, ISBN 0 902835 02 5.

There are usually a couple of copies on Abe books website.

I don't think many companies used set fonts in pre-grouping days - all printing had to be typeset using cast letters, generally anything painted would be done according to how the signwriter did it, while following the official guidelines.

Some companies used transfers, which would have been produced to that company's specification.

I think the use of set fonts really started in the days of the "Big Four" and London Transport.

David

Archived