5'3" Broad Gauge Modellers

VRBroadgauge

24 minutes ago, 65179 said:

That D326 deep case wagon is a weird looking thing! How long did they last? How robust do you think the complete wagon will be Bruce?

Regards,

Simon

I'll let you know in a week or so Simon when I build it.  We're blaming @Nick Mitchell for it actually.

Edited by Sithlord75
  • Like 3
  • Funny 1

20 hours ago, 65179 said:

That D326 deep case wagon is a weird looking thing! How long did they last? How robust do you think the complete wagon will be Bruce?

Regards,

Simon

I agree Simon. The thing is quite mad. I think it will be fairly strong. There's three layers of etch on the main beams and quite a bit of bracing. Kev is doing the test build to see how it goes. I spent quite a bit of time on it and I'm hoping it turns out well.

673092843_D326illustration.jpg.18039bc9bd129de5bf90b76b87eb9567.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, VRBroadgauge said:

Not just one.... you'll need to talk to Kev. :)

So I heard on the NMAG zoom. With racecourses at Bath and Wincanton I can justify horseboxes from all over the country - and I rather like them -Id have one of each!

Jerry

edited to add current state of play with my Wincanton Races special - always room for more!

20201031_130649.jpg.de95783e7a28fec6fdaf29a34c7cf491.jpg

Edited by queensquare
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, queensquare said:

So I heard on the NMAG zoom. With racecourses at Bath and Wincanton I can justify horseboxes from all over the country - and I rather like them -Id have one of each!

Jerry

edited to add current state of play with my Wincanton Races special - always room for more!

20201031_130649.jpg.de95783e7a28fec6fdaf29a34c7cf491.jpg

How about an international one?

I'm doing a VR tri-axle horsebox for myself next. It'd probably fit into that rake nicely.

If you'd like one Jerry I'll send one to you.

fhor27.jpg.07fbb9455a56e08853f6aee928adc33a.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, VRBroadgauge said:

How about an international one?

I'm doing a VR tri-axle horsebox for myself next. It'd probably fit into that rake nicely.

If you'd like one Jerry I'll send one to you.

fhor27.jpg.07fbb9455a56e08853f6aee928adc33a.jpg

Id love to build the Furness, North Eastern and LSWR ones.  I would struggle to justify a VR one at Bath but if it could be built to standard gauge it could always enter service for the North Somerset Light ….!

Jerry

• Funny 1

18 minutes ago, queensquare said:

Id love to build the Furness, North Eastern and LSWR ones.  I would struggle to justify a VR one at Bath but if it could be built to standard gauge it could always enter service for the North Somerset Light ….!

Jerry

Caledonian had 6w horseboxes too.

Jim

15 hours ago, queensquare said:

Jerry

I can be built to standard gauge. May have to tweak my simplistic brakes. I'm using 13.7mm association axles so wheels will plug straight in. I'll send you one when I get them done shortly.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, VRBroadgauge said:

I can be built to standard gauge. May have to tweak my simplistic brakes. I'm using 13.7mm association axles so wheels will plug straight in. I'll send you one when I get them done shortly.

Thats great Bruce many thanks. I shall have to come up with a suitable back story as to how the NSL acquired one of these magnificent vehicles!

Jerry

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, queensquare said:

Thats great Bruce many thanks. I shall have to come up with a suitable back story as to how the NSL acquired one of these magnificent vehicles!

Jerry

I'm sure I've read somewhere about a certain Colonel Clifford of the NSLR touring Australia in 1905 and on a visit to Melbourne happening upon Newport Workshops whilst in need of transport for his newly acquired thoroughbred Dobbin...

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 65179 said:

I'm sure I've read somewhere about a certain Colonel Clifford of the NSLR touring Australia in 1905 and on a visit to Melbourne happening upon Newport Workshops whilst in need of transport for his newly acquired thoroughbred Dobbin...

Beleivable other than Cliffords are more likely to have been at the other end,  shovelling out the stables.....!

Jerry

• Like 1
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

On 29/10/2022 at 23:00, 65179 said:

Maybe it was about 1930 and he was trying  to obtain Phar Lap,,,

Edited by VRBroadgauge
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, VRBroadgauge said:

Maybe it was about 1930 and he was trying  to obtain Phar Lap,,,

I reckoned it had to be 1905 and that they were given an offer they couldn't refuse for a new 6 wheel van (the Colonel was presumably more flush before his investments suffered in the Great War resulting in the cash-strapped NSLR that Jerry models). Why else would VR have rebuilt and four wheel horsebox F11 to a 6 wheeler in 1911 other than traffic demands eventually requiring the original number planned 😉 

Simon

• Funny 1

10 hours ago, 65179 said:

I reckoned it had to be 1905 and that they were given an offer they couldn't refuse for a new 6 wheel van (the Colonel was presumably more flush before his investments suffered in the Great War resulting in the cash-strapped NSLR that Jerry models). Why else would VR have rebuilt and four wheel horsebox F11 to a 6 wheeler in 1911 other than traffic demands eventually requiring the original number planned 😉 

Simon

And after toweling up the Boers the Colonel would certainly be flush. It works for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Sometimes during the euphoria of designing and building a model you can forget a few fundamentals. For instance, does the model actually go around your track?
Up to this point I’ve been doing four wheel stock and some passenger bogies. No problem there. 
Enter the Z van. This little beastie has six wheels with an axle spacing of 15mm. Shouldn’t be a problem you say. 
One would think so. But I’m not entirely sure. 
This is where working out your designs in advance has it’s advantages. 
I’ve been careful to make the sharpest curves on my proposed layout(s) 600mm (24’). 
This little piece of kit is a curve of said radius. I’ll be thoroughly testing the Z van and future locomotives to make sure they track properly. 
I have three more six wheelers nearly completed and ready to send to PPD. I’ll make sure the design works before fabrication. 9478706C-9400-4FA9-9210-A41EF7036B73.jpeg.4ae9cc826f14b32348f6469fb65dcd95.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

It should do: I’ve built 18’ wheelbase 6 wheeled stock that goes through 1:6 crossings with 10’ switches and somewhere in the wilds there are a good number of 20/21’ wheelbase coach chassis that no-one has complained about, yet*. These were all fixed chassis.

*I know for certain some have been built. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/11/2022 at 23:07, richbrummitt said:

It should do: I’ve built 18’ wheelbase 6 wheeled stock that goes through 1:6 crossings with 10’ switches and somewhere in the wilds there are a good number of 20/21’ wheelbase coach chassis that no-one has complained about, yet*. These were all fixed chassis.

*I know for certain some have been built. 

You were correct in what you said Richard. The 6 wheeler tracks beautifully. I had some dodgy video but it was too big to upload. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

1148338127_tvan.jpeg.60494a45ba34aaaad7f4abd4dcb2dc64.jpeg

As part of @Sithlord75 Advent challenge Kev's constructed one of my T vans. This is a VR insulated van with three ice hatches up top. It gets pretty warm down here in oz so these beasties moved a lot of produce. I'm pretty happy with this one and I have a 6 wheel version coming in the next lot of etches. Some of these wagons were "billboard" versions with advertising on the side. Victorian Railways was state government operated so they were unusual.t401.jpg.01ed31a7f864cc2b885050addd532446.jpg

Before you comment, the photo above is of a version that was a 6 wheeler but has the center axle removed and the chassis strengthened.

• Like 4