To stimulate discussion, post photos and exchange ideas, and (being an open public forum) help encourage others to try S scale modelling.

Manning Wardle Old Class I Locomotive

Timber

Further enhancements to the design prior to taking another print this afternoon.   I am following Rob's advice and simply top up the Vat rather than keep cleaning.  It is a much better way of working, saving time and reducing the risk of resin spilling.

I am also finding it helpful to lift the model much higher off the printer build plate,   It is then easier to remove the print.   With the additional space between the plate and print, I can use a razor saw to cut the supports off the raft and then carefully remove them after that, 

IMG_0664.jpg

Edited by Timber

Less than an hour later I have a working engine.  It is a bit lumpy but this should fix itself once run in,  Next step is to rework the etchings required to finish.

Edited by Timber
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 2

Thank you Stephen.   In my experience all of High Level Models components are excellent and the customer service superb.

That said I have made some adjustments to the engine.   Something that  included a motor swap.

What I was finding was that no matter how well I could get the engine to run from the centre axle, it simply performed better when driven from the front or rear.  With the centre axle I was pulling one wheel and pushing the other but from the rear everything was working in the same direction.   Probably my poor modelling but that was what was happening.

Rather than build something I was not happy with I have changed the design to run the locomotove off the rear axle.

To achieve this I used a High Level HiFlyer Plus gear box

unnamed (25).jpg

Edited by Timber

I have fitted the motor unit to a simplified form of the print.   Removing the footplate and cab so I can see how the motor fits.

It runs nice and smoothly - much closer to what I am looking for.   The wheels are temporary Scalelink products rather than damage my 3D printed Manning Wardle wheels for these test builds.

Now need to see if I can fit the rest of the print around the motor,

Screenshot 2022-06-19 184452.png

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

The revised motor and gear box all fit nicely in an updated print.

I have also reduced the rivet size on the saddle, will be interesting to see if the detail is lost when painted.

unnamed (27).jpg

Edited by Timber
  • Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

With this print, the locomotive now benefits from some very simple compensation, basically there is 0.5mm of vertical play in the axles.

This is very simple but the combination of the heavier motor, driving the back axle together with some vertical movement in the axles is now producing a very slow and smooth ride.  A significant improvement over earlier test runs.

Screenshot 2022-06-22 190348.png

Edited by Timber
  • Like 7

There are still a few areas where I want to improve the print, it needs the correct smokebox door and the headstock needs a slight tweak.  However, rather than keep going over the same ground I am going to finish this model as a prototype and apply all the modifications in one go at the end brfore making the finished model.

With this model I will produce a small set of etches.   Included in this etch are two strengtheners that sit along the top of the cab side and support the cab handles.   Without this etch the handles would just snap out of a plastic fitting.

unnamed (28).jpg

Edited by Timber
  • Like 1

To ensure the correct clearance a 0.7mm brass wire should be passed through the corresponding hole in the cab floor and the fitting before the glue is applied.   This will help highlight if there is any missalignment.

unnamed3 (29).jpg

Edited by Timber
  • Like 3

Quick picture of the inside of the cab.  The new gearbox driving the back axle has been accomodated without impacting the cab detail.

Looks like the fresh paintwork will need a little bit of attention before varnish.

unnamed5 (29).jpg

Edited by Timber
  • Like 6

Here is a link to an STL of the Body and Chassis,

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Q8slVrBzUBh7ZMh-K6gTsAhwf_TvIbR6/view?usp=sharing

I am not an expert at 3D printing and I have taken a few shortcuts to create a model that works for me but happy to share what I have made and if anyone wants to improve then that is fine. 

Also happy if anyone wants to rescale but clearly axle diameters etc will need to be modified so you will need access to some sort of CAD package to attempt this.

I will be making seperate postings for the Tank and also a version that will run with an etched chassis that I am making plus a few variations of the bunker.  

This STL is saved as prototype full size dimension in inches.  I resize to S Scale by simply dividing the length that is measured in inches/12*4.76. I find this easier than working in % s.  If your slicer will not support resizing the flie then try loading a copy of Meshmixer. 

I allow for 1% shrinkage, So once you have the file in the correct size simple multiply by 1.01...before saving to your slicer,   Basic stuff I know but better a prompt than to wait 6 hours to print and find it is the wrong size,

Screenshot (166).png

Edited by Timber
  • Like 5

BTW this file supports the more common smokebox door.   There are many variants of this component but the one I have copied appears to be the most common.

Screenshot (163).png

Edited by Timber
  • Like 1

On 03/07/2022 at 17:41, Timber said:

I am not an expert at 3D printing and I have taken a few shortcuts to

Here you go - it is in the first post from this eveing,   I will be posting the etched chassis version next weekend,,,,,,,

Edited by Timber

Timber,

Neither of the links work for me.

The first says  "no preview available, File is in owners trash"

The second says "Access denied".

I can still access the Albion Dome file on the other thread so I suspect it is settings at your end.

Rob