To stimulate discussion, post photos and exchange ideas, and (being an open public forum) help encourage others to try S scale modelling.

Manning Wardle Old Class I Locomotive

Timber

Here is the link for the saddle

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1AjEkpf9GyZO_uY4DakWeq1FkW-1op-sC/view?usp=sharing

I am not going to offer a file with supports as it is very easy to put supports on this - auto support does the job.   However, I found that you need to possition as shown in screen shot for best print. 

Screenshot (167).png

Screenshot (168).png

Edited by Timber

Moving on to the etched chassis.   I will share the artwork later in this blog but here is the assembled chassis for pickups.   I will be drawing a split chassis version but I am not going to test this as I use pickups.  But it will be available for others.

The chasis has compensation beams at the rear for the middle and rear wheels leaving the front wheels to pivot on a simple rocker.

Brake parts are available, I will fit these later after I have tested the locomotive build properly

unnamed (34).jpg

Edited by Timber
  • Like 4

Here is the body for the etch and split chassis.  This version has the step printed,  They appear robust but I suspect that they may be fragile.   I plan to test an etched step that is attached to the chassis.   I will share this once complete.

unnamed (35).jpg

Edited by Timber
  • Like 1

Here they are fitted together.  It runs nicely.  Chassis needs to be trimmed to fit within headstocks and a fixing bolt added to the cab floor.  But it is heading in the right direction....

unnamed (36).jpg

Edited by Timber
  • Like 6

Someone asked for a STL file that could be edited in Tinkercad.   The link below is a version of the file that I reduced in Meshmixer.   I have no idea how this will print - be very interested in feedback....

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lG9i6A_slWXR2sUV_FyhqEWgSMMDl9nY/view?usp=sharing

If it does not print well then I can increase the file size.  However, what I wanted to avoid was offering a file that just squeezed onto Tinkercad and then could not be edited or downloaded beyond that point.....let me know as I have not tested this file myself.

But for anyone who wants the "full fat" STL then look back for earlier link, it should be working now.

BTW Meshmixer is a brilliant and simple utility to use, I use it for multiple applications - it really is useful.   https://www.meshmixer.com/.   There are loads of YouTube tutorials on it.

Screenshot (169).png

Edited by Timber
  • Like 1

Thank you Timber.

Perfect timing as I have 2 of the previous version on the printer as I tripe 😀

Just playing with angles to get the top to print nicely ready for the updated version.

Report later in the week.

R

• Thanks 1

I received the revised etch today.....few more components to add but this contains the body parts to enhance the 3D prints plus two chassis versions....one for split axle and one for pickups.....I hope to have these at our autumn meetinsg,,,,,once again made to my skills/standards that may not be as high as others so there is the usual health warning.   

Screenshot 2022-07-21 203703.png

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

I have been playing with printing the saddletank at different angle etc to try and get the supports off the visible faces and have a nice smooth top ready for Timber's latest version with the rivets on the tank top.

The best result so far is shown below. 45 degrees on the long axis, 0.025 layer height and lots of heavy supports, especially on the inside to stop it bowing in.

It still needs work on the supports as there is a bit of distortion at the front bottom corners but I will have another go when I get some more WW resin (or change to the IPA washable stuff already in stock - not decided yet).1930571322_Screenshot04.jpg.b476b7edbc83961ec229f7e4608e2c96.jpg189306186_Screenshot03.jpg.11668bcf7824900a75713a69e9799f2f.jpg20220725_145257.jpg.e7137c7200d38e5175e8038091508c8e.jpg20220725_145313.jpg.79eabacda1722dde85210ba07c0dc7d9.jpg20220725_145347.jpg.13fe0aea2b5d540a1b8ed849dd8b407d.jpg20220725_145641.jpg.7e097c7ba6f14df099d7a23eb3418131.jpg

Rob

• Like 4

Thanks Rob - I have been holding off on updating the prints as I have been going through a pretty extensive tidy up of the artwork.   The bunker has now been corrected together with a number of other errors in the body.   I have also just noticed that the front headstock is very slightly out of alignment so that will be fixed.   I will then upload.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

After weeks of messing around I have given up on trying to make a repeatable 3D printed chassis.  By repeatable I mean something that I can just print, add wheels motor and pickups and send down the track.   With such a shart wheel base, small throw and very little weight the distortion of warping and shrinkage is too great.   Maybe I will come back to it in the future........this is a tiny sample of the number of attempts I took at this.  All conveniently sitting on top of the dustbin :-(

IMG_0983.jpg

Edited by Timber
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Timber,

Thank you for latest files.

The links work ok which is more than can be said of my printer at the moment.

Ho Hum.

New screen winging it's way from Amazon.

Runny resin may print better but it goes much further when you get a hole inthe FEP.🙁

Rob

A method I'm hoping to use in S is to use metal frames but with 3D printed spacers.  I've done it already in a 1:32 scale chassis :-

Cal782Pug-059.jpg.8c85615d0f860520f12cd5d37af05974.jpg

As well as the frame spacers I was also experimenting with using 3D printed hornguides and aiming to use brass axleboxes in them.  The experiment would be to see how good the wear properties of the 3D resin is.   The 1:32 project has stalled at the moment but I'm looking to use the same system in an S scale chassis about now.

The frames and printed spacers are held together with 12BA screws and I reckon to use 14BA screws on the S scale version.  The resin taps satisfactorily but I took care not to over tighten in case I stripped the threads.   I dare say I should do a test to destruction to see where the threads strip. :-)

The 3D printing also allowed me to add the necessary leaf and coil spring detail.  In the 1:32 frame the springs are separate prints to the hornguides and are held in place with 14BA srews,  allowing them to be removed to allow axles to be removed.  I'm not sure if I can do this in S and I'm working on an alternative method. :-)

Jim.

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Rob - I spilt water washable resin all over my screen.   I looked online for inspiration, took a piece of cloth, immersed it in very hot water, placed it on top of the resin damaged screen, let the resin soften and then scratched it off with a plastic ruler....it came up a treat.....

A hard lump of dried resin got trapped under the build plate part way through a print and punctured the FEP, probably a failed support from a previous run.

The liquid resin has eaten it's way through the black sealing strip around the edge of the screen and run through.

Sod's law applying, it was at the end with the power lead which was soaked in resin. A screen test showed a load of black lines across the screen. I am hoping it will still work when it dries out - a screen test 30 mins later showed a different pattern of lines - but a new screen is £32 from Amazon (genuine Elegoo) and 15 mins to fit when it gets here tomorrow so ordering one wasn't too painful.

If the old screen lives then I have a spare in stock.

It could of been worse, it was relativly contained to the top of the printer rather than the floor.......

One of those things, screens are meant to be consumables after all.........

R

4 hours ago, Timber said:

Next up is the 3D print to make the following body.....

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GuROGv0mJJ8vmpYUY_kgq-LP9whwfO3U/view?usp=sharing

I have had to make some deliberate compromises on this print to ensure that the footplate and boiler have the necessary strength.  

simp2.png

Its whetting my appetite, particularly as that very engine may have spent some time in Ireland. The prints, etches and your engine Usk look superb!