Hudswell Clarke steam locos

Hi All, the attached photo shows a Rhodesia Railways Hudswell Clarke 0-6-0T built in 1929 - Is there a UK loco that is similar please - I would like to build a model of the Rhodesian loco but have very little to go on and was hoping I could find a drawing of a similar UK loco to work from - The only dimensions I have of the Rhodesian loco are 12' WB and 3'6" wheels - Thanks Wayne

Hudswell Clarke 2 Churchill3.jpg

• Like 1

you might have to settle on what youve got unless you want to fork out on a copy for the works drawings from Statfold Barn

wheelbase (WB) and diameter (WD) is plenty to work with, especially with a decent a side on photo such as this one, the frame length is about twice the WB so 24ft and the boiler is about the same as the WD. For body proportions, the smokebox centre lines up with the rear edge of the cylinder, the tank front lines up with the expansion link and the front of the cab lines up with the rear brake shoe (allowing for the perspective skew).

based on this angle view, and guessing how wide the tanks are, i would guess full width at least 7ft

1052778913_HC1627-1929bulawayozimbabweexrhodesia.jpg.1e4de492e6c6d70ce19230400a127f79.jpg

just found a useful end on photo from https://heritagemachines.com/nostalgia/bulawayo-railway-museum/

OG-66-2.jpg.e0d4310156f7af21b45a4d870c415c26.jpg

17 hours ago, sir douglas said:

you might have to settle on what youve got unless you want to fork out on a copy for the works drawings from Statfold Barn

wheelbase (WB) and diameter (WD) is plenty to work with, especially with a decent a side on photo such as this one, the frame length is about twice the WB so 24ft and the boiler is about the same as the WD. For body proportions, the smokebox centre lines up with the rear edge of the cylinder, the tank front lines up with the expansion link and the front of the cab lines up with the rear brake shoe (allowing for the perspective skew).

based on this angle view, and guessing how wide the tanks are, i would guess full width at least 7ft

just found a useful end on photo from https://heritagemachines.com/nostalgia/bulawayo-railway-museum/

17 hours ago, sir douglas said:

Awesome thanks I did not have that front view, though I have a few more photos than that posted - Not bad on the 7ft width, I have been sent a diagram that shows it was 8'11 1/2" across the handrails, so 8' and a bit across the footplate

Edited by WayneKennerley