Cambrian Shed (Aberystwyth but not Aberystwyth) in 4mm

Hello all

It has been recommended by a member @ChrisN  to start a topic in this group about my current build project as it may be of interest to some members.

A topic already exists for the build in the general "Layout Topics" (link below) but thought I would start one in here too. I won't be updating on the build here regularly as I will be doing that in the original topic, but will probably add major milestones such as complete buildings or track laid

I have added a quick run down of plans below as well and any constructive critisism is always appreciated

Happy modelling 😃😃🚂🚂

Inspiration for the layout

Over the past few years I have been developing an interest in the general mid-Wales Cambrian network, the locos that ran during its lifetime and most notably Aberystwyth. The interest in Aber specifically has spawned from having lived in the town for the past 5 years (although I have recently moved away) and I therefore wanted to create a snapshot of the place in its heyday and thought what better thing to do than recreate the engine shed

1408633416_220504_1829262952.jpg.83d5679753143d04b5175af3eee7bba8.jpg

Aberystwyth but not Aberystwyth  what the hell does that mean?

The answer to this question is that I am aiming to capture the look and feel of the shed (track plan below) but not fully recreate it down to the millimetre and obviously gives some comprise with space and the construction of buildings etc. for example the coal stage is a GWR one but there are some minor differences to the one that was actually built at Aber and the track plan may vary a little.

That being said I have been staring at photos in various archives to capture the shed area to the utmost accuracy.

246689715_220504AnyRailTrackPlan.png.ec23c10c0bde6712ca682c02b22ea9e2.png

And an "aerial" view of the actual baseboard for good measure

114948169_220504_1825320242.jpg.6a9972408287201f80dc1030db62fa3b.jpg

So what era is it going to be?

The shed is going to be based on the post-1938 rebuild i.e. the current shed in Aberystwyth that the now VoR occupies, which narrows down the selection of eras a little bit. I've always been into BR steam vs grouping so I have specifically chosen to model the summer of 1960, with a bit of slop either side of this by a year or so, because more research always has the potential to throw a spanner in the works, or I was a bit stupid with the Std 3 (see below). I chose this period specifically as it was an interesting time on the Cambrian as the last few Dukedogs were still in service, with the BR Standards becoming ever more common (but not dominant) alongside the GWR stalwarts such as the Manors, Moguls and 2251

Below is all the research I have so far with regards locos that will appear "on shed" at any given time which includes mostly locos I already own or have on pre-order (I'm holding out for a new 2251 and Pannier to be announced)

1151237243_220504LocoAllocation.jpg.0161abef92c89057c31bb868d034b702.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...