RMweb

O gauge set track

kevo

Hi can any one shed some light  on  some confusion  i am have ing  regards a peco o gauge  set track  point . The rail joiners  on the point  I  think are SL10 for code 100 rail . I brought a few lenths  of   2nd hand peco o gauge felxi track just to get started  flat bottom rail  .but the rail joiners will not fit  on the track it apears there is a very slight rail height differance and the flat bottom of the track is wider as well . so dus this mean only set track straights will fit and i have the wrong track  . any help please .

Thanks GIlbert .thats really useful.  looking at the two ends of my  track on the point and the stright  bit  i can see now that the two are different i think i had imagened  bullhead track to be much more like a figure  of 8  shape . well not that drastic 😆 but you can get my drift.

• Like 1

Are you sure that the secondhand track is really Peco? I ask as Peco use a non - standard (as in not supplied by anyone else) rail section. All other rail suppliers use a true Bullhead profile and is code 125. Peco's rail is not quite bullhead being a compromise between that and flatbottom, I believe in order to facilitate manufacture, it is also code 124 - slightly smaller.

Peco's rail joiners will fit both Code 100 and 124, so if it doesn't fit then it looks like it isn't Peco. You will probably find the Fllexitrack is either Marcway or more probably C&L. C&L Fishplates will fit both, though electrical continuity may be an issue. In any event it isn't a good idea to rely on rail joiners longterm, always best to solder droppers on etc.

Kevo,

it looks like Peco are using the normal rail for the set track types of track that they would use normally. So for bull head to bull head the SL_10 should work. For the flat bottom to flat bottom it looks like you have to use SL_710FB.

For connecting the set track to the flat bottom track they do sell some translator bits of track SL_713 at about £20 for four.

ATB

OzzyO. 

Edited by ozzyo

• 2 weeks later...

really sorry for delay on reply ing to this  . all the track is peco  marked on the under side ,. what i have done  removed my oo track from the my base board  and relayed just use ing the lenths of  the o gauge track  as a test track and save the two set track points .for a nother project 

20220528_185145.jpg

On 29/05/2022 at 13:57, ozzyo said:

For connecting the set track to the flat bottom track they do sell some translator bits of track SL_713 at about £20 for four.

Although you would expect products from the same manufacturer to be compatible, that is not the case with Peco Setrack and the SL-713 Transition track, or at least it is in the case of the examples I have. The "exposed" rail on the SL-713 is shorter than that on the set track which results in a 1-2mm gap between the ends of the rails when the fishplates butt against the opposite sleepers. It is easily overcome by shortening the fishplates, but it is annoying.