Peco 3 way point

Best of luck, I just wired one with switches and point motors a la Peco. Is it a new type with the frogs already wired? By the time you've wired it up, it looks like a porcupine. A word to the wise check the circuits with a meter before you placing in situ.

• RMweb Premium

Are we talking insulfrog or electrofrog as the wiring can differ? Mine are insulfrog wired for DC operation with surface-mounted Peco point motors placed toe-to-toe and I don't see anything resembling a porcupine ;)

Are we talking insulfrog or electrofrog as the wiring can differ? Mine are insulfrog wired for DC operation with surface-mounted Peco point motors placed toe-to-toe and I don't see anything resembling a porcupine ;)

Hi

Thanks for the reply's.

It's an electrofrog point.

Regards

Mark

Best of luck, I just wired one with switches and point motors a la Peco. Is it a new type with the frogs already wired? By the time you've wired it up, it looks like a porcupine. A word to the wise check the circuits with a meter before you placing in situ.

Having recently done one of these [and a double slip] with 'SEEP' motors, I was less than happy at the reliability of the switching of the frog polarity. I did some thinking and some experimenting.

The SEEP motors have a certain area of 'dead' ground between the adjacent contacts of the changeover switch, and especially on the double slip the throw of the tie-bar only just allows this dead ground to be traversed and contact to be made on the very extremity of the switch wiper.

In order to overcome this problem, I have used 3mm diameter screws in the 3.5mm holes in the motor mounting plate AND DID NOT TIGHTEN THEM DOWN completely. This may sound faintly heretical, but the resultant 'slop' allows the wiper of the switch to positively cover each contact. It does NOT detract from the operation of the tie-bar.

For those of you who travel with your layouts and have concerns about a loose screw becoming too loose and dropping out, may I suggest inserting a drawing pin close-by the motor plate and soldering a piece of single core wire between the d'pin and the head of the screw to prevent it rotating.

Should you have an intermittent switching problem on a three-way or a d'slip may I suggest you try backing off the mounting screws a little?

I hope this give you food for thought,

Doug

Archived