GWR Clasp Brakes

Hi all I thought you might like to see a photo of my G1Python P14 fitted with 3D printed clasp brakes. They are in place but not fixed down, in yellow for photographic purposes. There are more photos and more detailed information on WT forum 1:32 section under Dave Bowden.

P14 (1) _2.jpg

Edited by kada33
  • Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1

That’s a very clear picture of a complex area. Is there any chance of a similar type of picture of Dean-Churchward brake gear?  I can never quite get my head around what goes where!

BTW, what’s the purpose of the U shaped item joining the pair of safety hangers nearer the centre?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Nick Holliday said:

Is there any chance of a similar type of picture of Dean-Churchward brake gear?

For anything in particular? There is a few variations there.

This is the layout on a Siphon C for example:

228627142_SiphonCchassis4.jpg.0ee2b5179e436db08abb896ecebb8429.jpg

Edited by 57xx
  • Like 2

Thanks for your comments Nick, having rechecked my photos it would appear I have them upside down, as they are not fixed I will be able put them the correct way up.

The V bracket to to protect the long rods from hitting the track should they brake loose. See attached photo. If you send me your email address I will send you a sketch and notes from John Lewis on DCIII brakes. dave@sarome.co.uk

Python P19_9.jpg

• Like 1

20 hours ago, 57xx said:

For anything in particular? There is a few variations there.

This is the layout on a Siphon C for example:

228627142_SiphonCchassis4.jpg.0ee2b5179e436db08abb896ecebb8429.jpg

@57xx Thanks for the photo. I was thinking more along the lines of the unfitted versions. On fitted ones like your Siphon the brake handles connect fairly simply to the main operating rod, whereas I am having difficulty visualising how everything fits together on the unfitted wagons, the various bits being fairly visible on a layout model.

@kada33 Thanks for the offer of the John Lewis diagram, but I think I have got it somewhere. I was rather hoping that you had created G1 models of the various forms of D-C brakes, with the brake gear in Stroudley’s Improved Engine Green, as your first picture made everything so much clearer.

• Like 1