LMS Water Tower

I'm making up an LCut kit of an LMS water tower - the type where a large square water tank rests on top of the building.  All the photos I've seen show such structures from ground level so I can't tell what the view would be from above (as it will be viewed on a layout).  Question is: were the tanks open at the top (eg to catch rainfall) or were they enclosed?  It would be nice to model the water in a part full tank but only if that was the reality.

Many thanks.

Cheers ... Alan    

There was a 'Restoration Man' programme showing the old tank tower at Settle being converted to a house. That tank had stays bridging across the top but no roof panels and the stays wern't strong enough to support anything or close enough together for corrugated sheeting.

Domestic water towers were nearly always covered, if only by a tin roof, but then people drank from those eventually so they would need protecting from debris.

• RMweb Gold
On 01/06/2022 at 14:02, DCMarvel said:

There was a 'Restoration Man' programme showing the old tank tower at Settle being converted to a house. That tank had stays bridging across the top but no roof panels and the stays wern't strong enough to support anything or close enough together for corrugated sheeting.

Domestic water towers were nearly always covered, if only by a tin roof, but then people drank from those eventually so they would need protecting from debris and pigeons, rats etc.

Further clarification.

Mike.

• Thanks 1