Gornergratbahn OOPS!

Artless Bodger

Having a clear out and sorting some old photos, I found this one, taken while on a walk along paths above Zermatt. We'd just crossed the GGB at Findelbach station and were just out of sight when we heard a loud noise. Running back up the path we found a descending train had split the points at the top end of the station loop, partly blocking the exit from the tunnel. As seen here, passengers had to detrain and walk between units operating either side of the blockage.

1.jpg

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

4 hours ago, Artless Bodger said:

Having a clear out and sorting some old photos, I found this one, taken while on a walk along paths above Zermatt. We'd just crossed the GGB at Findelbach station and were just out of sight when we heard a loud noise. Running back up the path we found a descending train had split the points at the top end of the station loop, partly blocking the exit from the tunnel. As seen here, passengers had to detrain and walk between units operating either side of the blockage.

And then the whole area was closed for 2 weeks while investigations, litigation etc was carried out... oh, er, no er sorry it's Switzerland 😜

Edited by Gordonwis

We looked in at the GGB station in Zermatt after our walk, everything was normal as far as we could see, no notices visible. It looked like they had done whatever repairs were needed and got back to normal operation in the space of the few hours we were out. 

13 hours ago, Gordonwis said:

And then the whole area was closed for 2 weeks while investigations, litigation etc was carried out... oh, er, no er sorry it's Switzerland 😜

Yup having seen how quick repairs are made on the WAB I will agree they don't hang about, about 35 years ago I was out in Wengen one Easter and a mud slide came down covering the track, I was in Lauterbrunnen at the time and had to walk up, this was about 5.30pm, by the next morning mud and rocks had been cleared, track replaced and catenary wire restrung and it was all working in time for the first train up. It does take a bit longer if anyone is seriously injured but not much longer.

• RMweb Gold
On 02/06/2022 at 20:22, 5944 said:

I wonder how long it'll take them to fix this?

https://www.blick.ch/news/mit-verspaetungen-und-zugausfaellen-zu-rechnen-lokomotive-prallt-in-zollikofen-be-auf-bauzug-ein-verletzter-id17544106.html

475 402 and 465 012 colliding with the back of a stationary ballast train while running light engine. Those wagons aren't cheap!

Terrible! I didn't understand the condition of the poor driver afterwards?