Track Spacing

Newbie2020

• RMweb Premium

Hi all, quick question!

I'm using the Peco 6ft way gauge to set the distance between tracks on the straights but how do I set the distance on the curves? I know it has to be wider to allow for the overhang of locos and coaches so that they don't hit on the curves, but how do I set the correct separation???

Clive

• RMweb Premium

The separation that you will need will depend on the radius of track that you want to use and the type of stock you want as well. The tighter the radius the bigger the gap you will need, the same the the stock, the longer the overhang, the bigger the gap.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Newbie2020 said:

Hi all, quick question!

I'm using the Peco 6ft way gauge to set the distance between tracks on the straights but how do I set the distance on the curves? I know it has to be wider to allow for the overhang of locos and coaches so that they don't hit on the curves, but how do I set the correct separation???

Clive

It depends on the radius of the curves.

From your question I deduce that you're using Streamline flexible track rather than Setrack. If so, and your curves are no tighter than about 2ft radius, you won't need to increase the separation - the Peco gauge allows for that.

Below 2ft radius you probably will need to increase the separation - Setrack curves are spaced at 67mm from memory - but the change of separation can be slightly complicated if you're not to end up with a short length of a very sharp curve.

• Like 1

Peco already build extra spacing into their track to allow for curves, you shouldn't need any additional spacing for curves 2ft radius or more with 00 streamline provided you have nice curves and no dog legs, and no extra width at all with set track.  There  are some PITA Chassis such as the Triang M7 and  Hornby Tender drive King with excess end throw and full length Mk 3 and 4 coaches which have a lot of "Hang in" of the middle of the body. 

These can get close if  you are a bit careless.  Its a bit of a no brainer to use set track for any curve radius they are available for as they stay curved and don't dog leg or straighten like flexi does when curved between about 13" and 24".   Below 13" streamilne curves nicely but you have to be slightly niche to want to curve it that tight.

Where realism gets lost is there should be a nominal 6ft between each pair of lines but 10ft between running lines and loops or between the two pairs of tracks on 4 track routes  6ft 10ft 6ft though some are 10ft 6ft 10ft.

I often squeeze straight tracks closer than  Peco's 50mm/2"  Especially for hiddeb sidings, marshalling roads etc.   Real Locos are normally under 9ft wide 36mm   Hornby 9Fs 40mm so most 00 RTR is good on 44mm spacing, and that makes stations look longer etc, I didn't bother when I built our stations but it bugs me every single time I operate

• Like 2

On 11/06/2022 at 20:43, Newbie2020 said:

Hi all, quick question!

Clive

Hello Clive

Peco's geometry for trackwork is based on a 50mm/2 inch separation between tracks. That was actually the standard centre to centre separation recommended by both the MOROP NEM and the BRMSB (for "ordinary" OO) and it already includes the widening required for the minumum recommended curves (from memory that was 30 inch radius for running tracks and 3 ft radius for points). For straight and larger radius curves track you can reduce that to 45mm (the BRMSB recommendation for EM but remembering that it's vehicle width and length not the gauge of the track that defines the separation required). 50mm separation  is not far off for sidings (which are more widely separated than running lines to allow shunters and wagon inspectors to move between lines of wagons)  

Edited by Pacific231G
  • Like 4

Spacing is 5mm wider than prototype because 'train set curves' are usually a lot tighter than on the prototype.

IMO it looks better when the tracks are a little closer, but trains interfering with each other when running around curves becomes an issue.

A tip for using the Peco 6' way gauge is to glue 2 together, separated by a small piece of wood. This keeps it upright when the gauge is set correctly, so the track can't wander because the gauge has fallen over.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 3