4-wheel Siphon O1 brake gear

I'm struggling to find any decent references for the braking arrangement on early siphons - the 4 wheeled O1, in original condition. Any leads?

It's for the D3D kit, using their running gear as supplied, all of which works as advertised at the 'cheap and cheerful' end of the spectrum, but I'd like to start stepping up the details.

Thanks in advance,

Schooner

• RMweb Premium

The HMRS book on Siphons by Slinn and Clarke isn't much help, is it.

I suspect that you may have to wait a while until Wild Swan publishes John Lewis's much extended book on Siphons. Out hopefully this year I understand.

Jonathan

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

I imagine the brake gear on the O1 siphon is likely to have been similar to a V2 PBV, but I'm not sure how the manual brake would have been added, maybe like an N6 horse box. The O1s may have had Westinghouse as well.

Edited by Miss Prism
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Have you got a copy of the Model Trains mag. from January 1982. This has Pt 1 of an article of The Siphon Story by John Lewis and covers all the details of the early 4 wheel Milk trucks.

If not PM me for a copy.

Dave.

Edited by kada33
  • Thanks 1

For those that would like to view the V2 that Miss Prism refers to is on page 51 of Russell's Coaches part 1. There is an outline drawing with measurements, front, plan & both ends.

The brake rodding looks very similar to my post of clasp brakes that I have produced in G1.

The N6 is on page 149 but there is no drawing of the underneath of the vehicle.

Dave

• Like 1

@kada33 That's brilliant, many thanks! From which (for those in search of a quick fix), an answer:

4-wheel Siphon O1 brake gear

"These vans had wood underframing and originally had grease axleboxes and no brakes [author's emphasis]. In service, these vans received a number of modifications. Around 1880 they received lower footboards and vacuum brakes. The latter were the standard GWR type with a moving brake cylinder - tbe Sanders/Armstrong pattern - and the clasp brake rigging was the then standard version which had some of the pull rods on outboard of the axleboxes. Around 1890 or so, the grease axleboxes would have been changed for oil ones, and from the late 1890s onwards, survivors would have been given steam pipes" John Lewis, The Siphon Story pt.1

Ideal :)

• Like 5