Driving wheels this is a new one to me

The 2 new small extensions are working great and all works well. Thought time to run a few things not out for a while.

Replica Railways B1 with my tender pick ups always, was a good runner, unpacked from its box and not going to go. Ah ha the valve gear is binding. Took to bits nothing wrong with valve gear an the pod motor running great. 

No problem with the axles. No it is the plastic driving wheel inserts the centres have popped out secure at circumference but popped out at centre like a suction cup. 

Has anyone been able to refit the centres?

It has given 30 years good service at exhibitions and at home would be a shame to scrap it.

• RMweb Gold

This is one of several 'known problems' with the Mainline split chassis models, which is what Replica, marketed after Mainline's demise.  Bachmann took them over from Replica and replaced the motors for worm/cog drives and eventually retooled them.  30 years service under exhibition conditions is pretty good going for one, and it owes you nothing. 

Repair is diffficult, and your options are:-

.use the loco as a shed lurker.

.look for a replacement running chassis on the Bay (it will have a limited lifespan, as of course nobody will sell one unless it has started to show signs of deterioration).

.replace the chassis with a Wizard Comet kit.  These are brass fold-up frames with packs for the motion, and you have to provide your own wheels, motor, and gears. 

I know this is not what you want to hear, but it's better to know what the situation is than to attempt costly but ineffective repairs.  As things stand you have little to lose by trying though; dismantle the motion (keep the crankpins stuck in a lump of blutac or something so that you don't lose them, and, keeping an eye on the quartering, carefully superglue the wheel centres in  position with the crankpin holes correcly aligned on both sides of the chassis.  Re-assemble, cross your fingers, and test run.  Good luck!

• RMweb Gold

Another option - cut the offending plastic wheel centres out, you might be able to do this without disturbing the motion. The metal underneath should  have spokes which can be painted black. Fashion some balance weights from thin card or plastic and add a dash of weathering and you might not notice the difference 

• Agree 1

Hi,

I have had this problem with 4 Bachmann 4mt's All I did as suggested above was cut out the plastic inserts and paint the wheels. Unless you look really closely it is not noticeable as the inserts are quite thin. I also cut off the balance weights and glued them back into position.

Peters Spares were selling pattern parts to replace the plastic muffs,  not sure if the B1 was among the range but it would be worth a look.

Edit - just dawned on me that I'm talking about the axle muffs - the bit with the gear attached on the driving axle which is the usual weak spot on these, and I suspect you're talking about the bit with the actual spokes on. I don't know of a fix for that other than getting hold of a 'spares or repair' non-runner and swapping the wheelsets over. 

Edited by Wheatley

Thank you for your input.

Checked over the Mainline & Airfix Locos not one shows any problem except an 03 on which the crank chassis bearing has disintegrated.

You have given me 2 solutions which I will try if mine fails. I have Cleaned the insert they must have been secured at centre with a cyanoacrylate (the switch cleaner turned it white). Have now placed the inserts between two left over lengths of frame brass clamped together under light pressure and put in greenhouse for some gentle heat. As the inserts are not under any mechanical load there is a good probability that POP undercoat will not be needed to increase the tensile strength of cyanoacrylate for the metal to Non Stick Plastic bond. Worth a try if it does not work can always cut balance weights off the insert or ask Bachman/Replica for help.

On 15/06/2022 at 11:52, DouglasKerr said:

Thank you for your input.

Checked over the Mainline & Airfix Locos not one shows any problem except an 03 on which the crank chassis bearing has disintegrated.

You have given me 2 solutions which I will try if mine fails. I have Cleaned the insert they must have been secured at centre with a cyanoacrylate (the switch cleaner turned it white). Have now placed the inserts between two left over lengths of frame brass clamped together under light pressure and put in greenhouse for some gentle heat. As the inserts are not under any mechanical load there is a good probability that POP undercoat will not be needed to increase the tensile strength of cyanoacrylate for the metal to Non Stick Plastic bond. Worth a try if it does not work can always cut balance weights off the insert or ask Bachman/Replica for help.

Hi all,

I asked Bachmann about the possibility of getting either new wheels or inserts and was told that there are none. I suspect that the B1 will get the same answer.

The inserts tend to swell for some reason, 3 in 1 oil probably.  I have taken the inserts off and trimmed away the outer edge of the plastic rim and re fitted them which takes away the stress and lets them fit flat.  A blob of gel superglue then secures the dummy spokes to the wheels.  You can remove the inserts and paint the wheels black but to my eye they look awful.  Mind you I don't like the look of Romford wheels much either.