BR early DMU green using Tamiya colors?

I'm repainting a Hornby 101 DMU, and I'm looking for a suitable spray paint color that's available in the US to match BR DMU green/Brunswick.

I've taken a look at Tamiya, and I was wondering if anyone knows how close TS-9 British racing green and/or TS-43 Racing green is/are to the aforementioned BR green(s)? 

38 minutes ago, SomethingTrainLover said:

I'm repainting a Hornby 101 DMU, and I'm looking for a suitable spray paint color that's available in the US to match BR DMU green/Brunswick.

I've taken a look at Tamiya, and I was wondering if anyone knows how close TS-9 British racing green and/or TS-43 Racing green is/are to the aforementioned BR green(s)? 

Both the Tamiya greens you mention are not really suitable for early BR DMU green. By this I am assuming that you mean the paler 'malachite' shade used, (for example), on the class 116 Derby suburban units introduced in 1956?

All is not lost however, I have used TS-9 as suitable for BR brunswick green, steam and diesel, and TS-43 provides a reasonable match for later Bachmann BR SR MK.1 green coaches, the darker green variants. Nothing like the Hornby Maunsell BR green though!

Hope this helps, 

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, 45568 said:

Both the Tamiya greens you mention are not really suitable for early BR DMU green. By this I am assuming that you mean the paler 'malachite' shade used, (for example), on the class 116 Derby suburban units introduced in 1956?

All is not lost however, I have used TS-9 as suitable for BR brunswick green, steam and diesel, and TS-43 provides a reasonable match for later Bachmann BR SR MK.1 green coaches, the darker green variants. Nothing like the Hornby Maunsell BR green though!

Hope this helps, 

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

It does a bit yeah, I don't really even need to match early dmu green, don't know why i said early, as what I'm modeling was built 1960-ish and even then its not a deal breaker, but I think I meant the more lighter BR greens seen on the Bachmann and Graham farish class 101 models. Which is why I'm considering TS-43 over TS-9, as TS-9 looks to be quite dark, but i may pick up both and test them out on a scrap coach body.
Much thanks

• Thanks 1

On 21/06/2022 at 19:27, 45568 said:

Hope this helps, 

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

Out of curiosity, any other spray paint recommendations? Mr Hobby etc? 
I figure halfords probably has a good one but sadly can't get that lol.

7 hours ago, SomethingTrainLover said:

Out of curiosity, any other spray paint recommendations? Mr Hobby etc? 
I figure halfords probably has a good one but sadly can't get that lol.

I have found that TS-31 Haze grey and TS-81 Royal light grey are excellent for representing different shades of BR freight stock grey. The fine red oxide surface primer is good for BR freight Bauxite. TS-4 German grey and TS-41?? Gunship grey are excellent for coach/van rooves. TS-11 maroon for coaching stock. Of course, TS-6 matt and TS-29 are good for BR black!!

I have used Hobby Spray 81 as BR early coach Carmine.

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

• Informative/Useful 1

11032276_pigiron001(2).thumb.JPG.8fbd1f43c6c631367ab423324375648e.JPG

399469194_australindpreswtin008(1024x768).jpg.29aa635eb3b106474ba814a58566ecf1.jpg

1162335259_LMS42ft2002.thumb.JPG.977a7642c14f3648645431914e056d94.JPG

Wagons showing Haze grey, (L/H pig iron), Royal light grey, (other pig irons), and fine primer as BR Bauxite. Mr. Hobby 81 as BR Carmine

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

Edited by 45568
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1