Boiler back plate and other details for Chivers LBSCR Billinton D3

Five79 Chivers Finelines has recently started producing this ancient (1982 vintage) white metal kit again. It doesn't have any cab interior details or even a cab floor. Is there a suitable casting of a a boiler back plate/firebox door in 4mm that could fit the kit?

I don't know the dimensions it has to match yet since I'm still debating whether to buy one. There'll be loads of other modifications needed to bring the 35 + year old kit up to standard, such as replacement buffer beams and turned brass buffers, a turned 

brass handbrake column in the cab. At least the kit has etched brass or nickel silver chassis components and brake gear. A Highlevel gearbox e.g. a Load hauler will be fitted. If a DCC chip is fitted there's the choice of gear ratio to consider: would a higher ratio make the

loco's slow running characteristics much better: the D3's were used for passenger work with a continuous stop and start running envelope between stations. Both the original 1890's version and later rebuilds are catered for. My experience with Wills white metal kits

was that the moulds were susceptible to distortion, especially the footplates, so weren't orthogonal (square); a Wills I3 4-4-2 tank drove me up the wall and I vowed never to touch another white metal loco kit.

D bogie No. 365 "Victoria" of the 1892 batch

0 A D3 0-4-4T.png

The kit itself in rebuilt form after Marsh era or later SR rebuilds in BR livery

chivers D3.png

Edited by Stoat's Nest
spelling corrections

• RMweb Premium

I have already replied to this post on another forum. I checked our sales and as far as I can see you haven’t ordered one. If you had you would be able answer your own questions. An old customer unsolicitedly supplied us with the picture of the one he made in 1995 I think, if you want one that looks as good it’s down to your modelling skills. 

In the advert we explained what we don’t supply because we are no longer in a position to open accounts with small parts supplies. This is a small run.