Hornby R3395 'Mallard' TTS - CV's for Smoother Slow Running?

latestarter

Can anyone advise if there are CV's I can set for smoother slow running of the R3395 TTS 'Railroad' Mallard? I find it runs fine most of the time, but it gets very jerky when trying to couple to carriages and wagons.

Thanks for any suggestions.

1 hour ago, Hilux5972 said:

Check that it’s on the highest speed step setting. 128 is the highest and best. Are you using a controller that can change CV’s? https://support.Hornby.com/hc/en-gb/article_attachments/360015924940/4-1504c_class_a4_sound_manual.pdf

Thank you very much for that. Yes, I'm using the Hornby Select; fairly basic but it's version 1.6 which does allow for CV changes. That might be the problem, because I've done some already but can't remember which locos.

I've got 6 locos on the layout right now (all I possess), so I've have a got at your settings in the morning, as it will take a while to remove and then re-rail the others.

1656103665829.jpg

9 minutes ago, latestarter said:

Thank you very much for that. Yes, I'm using the Hornby Select; fairly basic but it's version 1.6 which does allow for CV changes. That might be the problem, because I've done some already but can't remember which locos.

The Select can change CVs but does it allow you to read them? Changing them 'blind' is not always ideal because you don't know what you are changing them from.

The Hornby decoders are not the most flexible for motor control. I don't mean that as a criticism because you get what you pay for but something has to suffer in order to get sound on decoder costing £45 instead of £100.

16 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

The Select can change CVs but does it allow you to read them? Changing them 'blind' is not always ideal because you don't know what you are changing them from.

The clue to my level of experience is in my forum name. So I know nothing about CVs, or changing them.

But I don't think I've done too badly to go from knowing absolutely nothing at all about model railways 8 months ago, to the layout in the photo above I completed a month ago. 

I'm at the stage where I am trying to make it run smoothly and well enough for me to actually play trains. I'll think about more advanced gear a bit further down the line (pun intended). Bank balance allowing. My next plan is to motorise the points, over the winter. 

Edited by latestarter

Select effectively programs on the main as it only has a track output not a dedicated programming out, hence it can only write to CVs not read them back.

The CV you are looking for is CV150 which at default is zero and needs changing to value 1 which cures most jerky locos.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, RAF96 said:

Select effectively programs on the main as it only has a track output not a dedicated programming out, hence it can only write to CVs not read them back.

The CV you are looking for is CV150 which at default is zero and needs changing to value 1 which cures most jerky locos.

Thank you!

• Agree 1