DCC Programming Track - Easy-Build Guide Required

latestarter

I'm trying to find instructions for making a simple, portable DCC programming track, for use with a Hornby Select controller and, ideally, with the one I have connected to the layout. Or, I could buy a 2nd controller if needed.

The YouTube videos I've seen are over-complicated for my limited electronics and layout building knowledge and skills. Can anyone point me to a straightforward how-to guide please?

Lay down a length of track, connect it to the output terminals, Track A & B, of the Select.

Make sure the connections from the Select to the main track are disconnected though, otherwise any locos on the main track will also be programmed.

There are various ways of connecting switches to avoid having to move wires around to make it easier.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, smokebox said:

Lay down a length of track, connect it to the output terminals, Track A & B, of the Select.

Make sure the connections from the Select to the main track are disconnected though, otherwise any locos on the main track will also be programmed.

There are various ways of connecting switches to avoid having to move wires around to make it easier.

That's simple enough, even for me. Thank you very much!

Thought you might like to see the programming track I came up with...complete with a station, road, 70's saloon, wiring and rubber feet! A mini layout in itself! I think it counts as 2nd build, ever. Overkill maybe?

Programming track-2.jpg

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I incorporated an isolated section of track in a siding at the front of the layout for programming. Its switched via a simple double pole double throw switch to change it from main to programming. I can run a loco in off the main layout, flick the switch, go into programming mode, make adjustments, flick back to main and rejoin the layout. Brian Lamberts electrical page on DCC covers it well. I have a cheap second hand Prodigy controller for my bench track plus a gaugemaster controller for testing both analogue and dcc. Again, i switch between the two using a douple pole double throw switch. 

Edited by ianLMS
  • Thanks 1