Gaugemaster combi controller

The overload cut outs tend to be set too high for N gauge motors, (and modern coreless 00 ones)  on 00 power units. 1 amp as against 1/2 amp polyswitches. I accidentally bought an N gauge  On Track unit about1/2 amp and it barely ran Bachmann 00 locos at half speed and would cut out if trains were too heavy.   It was very kind to locos,  That said folks run on DCC with 4 amp cut outs.  

12 minutes ago, DCB said:

The overload cut outs tend to be set too high for N gauge motors, (and modern coreless 00 ones)  on 00 power units. 1 amp as against 1/2 amp polyswitches. I accidentally bought an N gauge  On Track unit about1/2 amp and it barely ran Bachmann 00 locos at half speed and would cut out if trains were too heavy.   It was very kind to locos,  That said folks run on DCC with 4 amp cut outs.  

In the specific case of the Combi I have found it perfectly fine with N. It obviously helps to understand a bit about current consumption and not to overload the demand on any power supply.

• RMweb Premium

It'll be fine. Dapol included a Combi in their N Gauge DC trainsets NDIESEL1 (class 73 + ferry vans) & STEAM1 (14xx + auto-trailer).

The thermal cut-outs will probably protect the controller more than the loco. If you've got coaches fitted with lighting then the extra mA's will be useful!

Steven B.