RMweb

Railway station plans

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Brassey said:

Not a suggestion but an observation. How does a train on the outer line get its wagons into the goods shed without trapping the loco against the buffers?

Train would go straight into GS siding, decouple and another train would come from es siding to move wagons so loco could exit before wagon put back into siding. That's a compromise 

7 hours ago, Brassey said:

Not a suggestion but an observation. How does a train on the outer line get its wagons into the goods shed without trapping the loco against the buffers?

I think the answer is it doesn’t. A small yard like this, with no means of running around, would only be served by trains running anti-clockwise on the inner circuit. If services on the main line allowed, it would leave the brake van on the main line whilst shunting, to save time messing about in the yard.

• Agree 4

3 hours ago, barney121e said:

Train would go straight into GS siding, decouple and another train would come from es siding to move wagons so loco could exit before wagon put back into siding. That's a compromise 

And how does the signalman allow 2 trains in the section at the same time?  Or maybe you employ shunting horses. 

Edited by Brassey
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Nick Holliday said:

I think the answer is it doesn’t. A small yard like this, with no means of running around, would only be served by trains running anti-clockwise on the inner circuit. If services on the main line allowed, it would leave the brake van on the main line whilst shunting, to save time messing about in the yard.

Fully concur as my memories from what I have read support that viewpoint. 

3 hours ago, Brassey said:

And how does the signalman allow 2 trains in the section at the same time?  Or maybe you employ shunting horses. 

Station Yard working - they are not in section.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, meil said:

Station Yard working - they are not in section.

Now i'm confused. But this isnt the place for layout discussion.

Totally disillusioned now. Having been through umpteen track plans, and everyone doesn't seem to work for some reason, even those out of plan books. Time to give up for now.

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, barney121e said:

Totally disillusioned now. Having been through umpteen track plans, and everyone doesn't seem to work for some reason, even those out of plan books. Time to give up for now.

Look at the real thing. Plan books aren't always to prototype.

The big problem with the plan posted is the facing crossover, which until recent times was pretty well non-existent in practice.

Pick up goods would back often back into a yard, using the train engine for shunting, the brake van would be left on the running line with any wagons not required at that destination.

Some (full) wagons would be taken off and backed into the sidings and empty ones pulled out and backed onto the brake van and the rest of the train which would then carry on to the next destination.

A pair of trailing crossovers at each end of the bottom straight would make for a more prototypical and interesting arrangement.

It also allows for a run round meaning with a bit of shunting the train could go back the way it came..

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, barney121e said:

Hi Barney,

I think your problem is that you are hovering between different worlds. To put it bluntly: The trackplans are trainsets but you are asking Model Railway questions. Maybe that's why you are havering over the plans???

You either need to decide which world you are in or accept that some answers are not relevant to your intended direction and just push ahead regardless.

Edited by Harlequin
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Dont give up just because it doesnt tick every or everyone elses boxes. There are hundreds if not thousands of layouts being enjoyed every single day and the vast majority probably have nothing in common with the way real railways operate. Several layouts are featured every month in the magazines which are not truly prototypical, many have cookie cutter Metcalfe buildings everywhere and some are totally off the cuff!! Mine is a classic example of a basic layout built to please me and me alone. Its basically a twin oval with a few sidings. In other words, a train set track plan. The only difference is mine is over 14' x 8' allowing me the luxury to stretch things out a little.  Yes, i try to get it as realistic as possible, but there have been a huge amount of compromises to fit everything in. And yes, i employ a shunting horse for my goods staging yard. 

Bottom line. Find a plan you like the look of, trailing/facing points if you please, find a station plan in any number of books you like (S&C seems a good choice) and build to your hearts content and be happy and proud of your achievements. There is a great opportunity here for you to learn new skills, find out what you really enjoy ( building kits, structures, scenery, electronics or operating) and you can always bin it and build a whole new one depending on the direction you decide you want to go in after gaining some experience. This is my fourth attempt at a layout and I always thought operating layouts and building scenery was my passion. Not any more! I now prefer to sit at my bench and build locos and rolling stock!!! This may prompt me now to build a depot layout in the future just to show off my ever growing stock!

Please, just carry on, learn from your mistakes, ask questions and take advice, but make your own mind up as to what pleases you.

By the way, Have you looked at https://freetrackplans.com/layout-plans.html

Although not perfect, they do give some ideas and there is section of prototype track plans for S&C based layouts. Take one and adapt it to suit. Mine was loosely based on an upside down Kikby Stephen plan (much compressed).

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, ianLMS said:

There are hundreds if not thousands of layouts being enjoyed every single day and the vast majority probably have nothing in common with the way real railways operate.

Like mine. Apart from having no facing crossovers it is total fiction, although with hints of real places.

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Like mine. Apart from having no facing crossovers it is total fiction, although with hints of real places.

I did have on my original plan until it was pointed out to me when asking a question about signalling. Resulted in me ripping up that section, buying new points and relaying them. It was worth it and it does look and operate more correctly and i can now sleep at night!

The morale of that story in one way is to do it right the first time and save money and time. On the other hand i could have left it and it would have been ok, just not right!