Recommendations for books like "A Railway Adventure" by LTC Rolt, ideally for the Bluebell?

Lacathedrale

I got so much out of reading A Railway Adventure I changed my holiday plans (it was a holiday read) to re-route myself to visit the Talyllyn. When talking to a friend and ex-Bluebell volunteer he had such a wealth of knowledge and interesting anecdotes that it made me realise I know very little about the railway other than what's on Wikipedia and my one or two visits. I'm now a member and will be there more often, but there's got to be a well-written book about the Bluebell, surely? Getting it up and running after abandonment, trials and tribulations of dodgy stock, financial concerns, renovations and demolitions, etc. ?

• RMweb Premium

Well-written books about railway preservation are not common. I don't know of any about the Bluebell, but then I'm not a Bluebell person.

Those I can recommend are all rather old. The Little Wonder by John Winton (1986), is about the Festiniog and the Deviation. One Man's Railway  by John Snell (1983) tells the story of the RH&DR up to the point where he became involved with it in the 1970s. Brian Hollingsworth wrote Great Western Adventure (1981), which covers the organisations which aimed to preserve the GWR. All three include the sort of material you are after.

There must have been other books published since then, but they have passed me by!

• Informative/Useful 2