o gauge transformer

mswjr

Guys sorry for being a bit dum , but i dont know im building a o gauge layout do i use a standard model railway transformer or are there different ones for different gauges .and can you reckonmend a type or make , ben a model engineer for years but have allways wanted a model railway and some of the simple things that you should know are not that simple if you dont. Thankyou Garry mswjr

Guys sorry for being a bit dum , but i dont know im building a o gauge layout do i use a standard model railway transformer or are there different ones for different gauges .and can you reckonmend a type or make , ben a model engineer for years but have allways wanted a model railway and some of the simple things that you should know are not that simple if you dont. Thankyou Garry mswjr

Depends on the length of the string........in other words most O gauge is 12Volt DC it just has a heavier current drain so get a bigger capacity controller....... say up to four or even five amps if you run older locos. Newer motors draw a lot less, but why limit what can be run to much. A smaller OO unit could run O gauge to test hem etc, but it may trip the overload.

US O gauge is different, they often use 18 Volts DC and 20VAC three rail a different world to the UK.

Stephen.

• RMweb Gold

I used a 2A trasnsformer for my 0 gauge layout and that was fine. However trains were short and one of my friends had two controllers one of which was rated at 3A. You had to rmember to use that one for certain locos.

Later I used and recommend the All components on tracks MCP5/0 with the Hand Held unit which has a 2.5A output or the MCP5/5 which offers 5A. My locos with Portescaps or ABC high effiecieny gearboxes draw less than 1A. However I think some of the Heljan models draw around 3A. So you may want to opt for the 5A version.

If you prefer the Gaugemaster type I think they offer heavy duty 2A version for 0 gauge.

However I have now gone DCC although I keep the All components one for testing etc.

Donw

• RMweb Premium

As above, how long is a piece of string. On my big roundy roundy exhibition layout I used Kent Panel controlleres that were supposed to be rated at 3A but they struggled running constant long trains (23 wagons plus sometimes 2 locos) and started blowing transistors. I now run the main line with 5A Helmsman units and keep the KPC's to the fddle yard. These are all separate controllers that take a 16vAC input. I use a separate 50VAC transformer (which gives a steady 3 amps) to power each controller. When the KPC's started going pop I kept a pair of H&M duettes on standby and they worked fine but got a bit warm after a few hours. Also Gaugemaster W's do fine for shunting the yard. The main thing to work out is where the power is being handled. With the Helmsman and KPC the handheld unit only controls the main putput but the actual powertransistor is housed in the base unit in the panel and needs good ventilation. The Gaugemaster W deals with the power in the handheld unti and that gets very warm after a few hours so we always ahve a spare on hand. Another point is that most modern O Gauge motors are the coreless type and they do not like feedback type controllers so avoid those. As per the thread above any 12vdc controller with an output of 1.5A will do for testing and also for running a smallish terminus to fiddle yard type layout.

Cheers

Jamie

Archived