Folding extension for a fiddle yard

gsward

I have an L-shaped layout and have room to add a short folding section for a fiddle yard, probably utilising cassettes. I am looking for ideas and inspiration to build the actual folding section. When not in use it would be in the vertical position. There is room for supporting legs at the very end of the folding board.

Does anyone have any pictures of their solutions, especially around the hinges and the track across the join?

Thanks.

You need to decide whether to use cassettes at the earliest stage as the board will need to be lower for a cassette yard than a flat yard and a traverser which lifts through 90 degrees sounds like a major nightmare.

The flap could go down as well as up...

For cassettes they just  need the baseboard edge to be the cassette dock, and the lift up to be the right height so they line up, no other complication...  Big problem is storing the cassettes and if you are as dextrous as I dropping the damned things.

• RMweb Gold

Mine was pretty simple as it’s only a foot long it just relies on the hinges on top of 2x1. Any longer and I’d add a folding brace for when it’s down. I also stapled a cloth ‘curtain’ between the bottom of the extension and the fiddleyard to catch anything that overran when it was folded over. 

Lulworth Castle OO layout

• Like 1