Engine oil spills

Hi Guys

Hope i'm in the right forum....

Just wondering what you all use for that dirty distressed oil effect in a yard area.

I've just bought some AK engine oil product which is actually brown and looks nothing like black oil, so I wondered what alternatives are out there.

Thanks in advance.

Si

• RMweb Premium

Is it for a steam scene or diesel? Diesel engine oil shouldn't be black, brown would be more accurate. When new it is a caramel like colour, and darkens with age, but even old engine oil shouldn't be black. And although diesel spills can leave black stains the oil itself is more translucent than coloured.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

20 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

Is it for a steam scene or diesel? Diesel engine oil shouldn't be black, brown would be more accurate. When new it is a caramel like colour, and darkens with age, but even old engine oil shouldn't be black. And although diesel spills can leave black stains the oil itself is more translucent than coloured.

Thank you very much indeed. Really appreciate the reply and description/clarification. I will certainly give it a go then.

🙂

Si

• Like 1

On 15/07/2022 at 15:00, jjb1970 said:

I wonder what all that black stuff is in the sump of my loco. Sump oil that leaks out on to the track certainly is black, often goes very dark grey when it mixes with water. Seen enough black patches over the years at various depots over the year and seen enough drained from sumps that is black. The oil is only the caramel colour when new.

Al Taylor.

• Like 1