Bogie Well wagon at side of A484

Jenny Emily

I spotted the following that looks very much to be a bogie well wagon on the abandoned track bed next to the A484 some distance north of the Gwili railway’s current northern terminus. 

According to street view it was there from at least 2008, and looks like it has been there much longer. Does anyone know the story on how this came to be here? 

7C023133-1ECB-4A7A-8A8E-C996938A648E.png.2bf9526a261e880c82d6d99f823ccc3c.png

723C1543-BCBC-43AC-91BC-7ABEBFB929A0.png.0ac2093a28ef11bb08e95f7d694277ec.png

I seam to recall that the Gwilli railway always wanted to extend further north and placed equipment and track at Cynwyl Elfed as a store area. It could have been just left there to stake a claim.

Keith

• Thanks 1

Ah I know the story behind it. When the gwili was planning to extend to conwil where this wagon is, it was changed to the new current station of abergwili due to the cost of the repair of the bridge to a better safety standard. I have got footage of the work. It is a GWR crocodile and when things changed and track and equipment was moved, the bogie pins had broke inside the bogie and the railway at the time did not have the money or equipment power to move it but is on top of the list to rescue when we get across the bridge with the new crane. 

Mike

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4