BUNCOMBE GWR

ROSSPOP

• 3 weeks later...
On 24/07/2022 at 08:55, ROSSPOP said:

The time has come,and the decision made to stop making loco kits . 

Age has dictated so.

This year I have started another lightweight portable  layout primarily using up my stock of unmade building kits, trackmaking gubbins and electronicals that have been gathering dust. I`m aiming for 75% completion by the end of the summer.  Plenty of short cuts and cheating may be the order of the day...we shall see.

BUT !  contentment and enjoyment will be paramount...

SO!   

Buncombe is a GWR branchline  nestling between the rivers Loder and Utter on the borders of Dorset and Devon.

The town is best known for making small arms and munitions manufacturing at Buwwets Rifling and Cartridge Works which was ,of course, helped  by the coming of the railway in 1898 .  The Works was made even more famous through a celebrity Mr Alma Fudd who ran out of Buwwets hunting for rabbits........

The project is 1200 x 600 cm which has meant using shorter length point work  to make best use of the space available. It also has an inbuilt off scene fiddle yard for one man operation.  It has  DC operating point work mechanisms and DCC  operation  of locos and operating signalling using  a combination of modified Dapol and handmade signals. To keep things simple I have used lasercut building kits wherever possible but in some cases altered to fit.

It also has a combination of home made electronicals  , NCE Powercab controller and JMRI remote working  and Peco Smartswitch units. It also has the Flippem autocoupling system.

P1010045.JPG.50166884f3a28153b9482a3018bcedef.JPG

So, plenty to keep a 71 year old codger busy in the evenings.

Trackwork is a mix of Peco, C&L, Ambis parts using Peco pointwork templates but finer tolerances through the points to rid myself of the dreaded wheel drop associated with 7mm standard finescale .

P1010023.JPG.b8ce600e6c4693ea1a44d80556cb4eb4.JPG

P1010027.JPG.8b7774eeea6e9b9d4dbd4c0fcc49d854.JPG

P1010049.JPG.94c42f36967bf4cacf39c0fe0ec827ab.JPG

P1010067.JPG.b0686b776931d827eb9e9a9c594b387e.JPG

That has been January to Aprils work rate....

Once the trackwork has been thoroughly tested it was out with the Clostermans etch primer and then enamel track colour using the airbrush.

P1010095.JPG.94b233129a2d9372a6d70e4fce55ccd3.JPG

P1010101.JPG.0fde44e069996e011c23854ca151d832.JPG

P1010109.JPG.26ec9e68c1458a0871fd44a9c12c2c80.JPG

Then a quick rub over with a very fine grade emery block and scalpel blades...................

.....and the trackwork is all tarted up and ready for play....

P1010116.JPG.d4c041f558a750f4d1f0a72eee98f46d.JPG

....NB: please note the trackwork error.... age related I`m afraid.

Then a session converting some stock over to the Flippem autocoupling system and a bit of a play sees us to the end of May...............

Love the sound of that. Is that the factory fitted sound?

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, meatloaf said:

Love the sound of that. Is that the factory fitted sound?

It,s actually Youchoos 64XX sound file which is better than their 14/48XX sound file. These  days I choose realistic chuffing over actual types.

• Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...

Hello John,

I only found your Buncombe thread last night and I have to say that I am in awe of your speed and quality of modelling and of your technical expertise. All I ever do is procrastinate!

I've quickly checked out Sarsden today and I'll read more on that layout when time permits - it looks excellent as well.

Needless to say I'm looking forward to keeping up with your progress on Buncombe.

Best regards, Neil.

Edited by Porfuera

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Porfuera said:

Hello John,

I only found your Buncombe thread last night and I have to say that I am in awe of your speed and quality of modelling and of your technical expertise. All I ever do is procrastinate!

I've quickly checked out Sarsden today and I'll read more on that layout when time permits - it looks excellent as well.

Needless to say I'm looking forward to keeping up with your progress on Buncombe.

Best regards, Neil.

Thankyou very much Neil,

Both projects are winterised until the new year as domestic projects have raised their heads.

T he first half of next year hopefully will see completion of Buncome first....

Cheers John