Two different Class 37’s, two different sound chips.

TravisM

• RMweb Gold

Bit of a interesting dilemma, I have a Bachmann Class 37, 37025 which is factory DCC and sound fitted, which I want to run with my pre-ordered Accurascale 37423 which is also factory DCC and sound fitted.  Should they run ‘okay’ together or take the chip and speaker out the Bachmann loco and try and find a similar set up as to the Accurascale 37?

Being on limited funds, ideally I’d like to fiddle around with the CV’s to see if they’ll play nicely together.

As the Accurascale 37 has a Loksound 5 and the Bachmann 37025 probably also has a Loksound decoder there should be no problems.

To be on the safe side you should read CV 08 on the Bachmann loco, if it is value 151 then it is an ESU decoder.

Nevertheless, depending on how the sound project is set up you might have to alter a lot of CVs - do you have LokProgrammer or JMRI?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

The Bachmann one might have a Loksound Select depending on age which makes it more like a Loksound v4 features wise.

Loksound 5's also come in different versions that have different speed curve options.

Even with identical decoders the differences in motors and gearing will mean you'd need to a bit of tweaking if you wanted to speed match them.

• RMweb Gold
On 25/07/2022 at 14:23, Hamburger said:

Nevertheless, depending on how the sound project is set up you might have to alter a lot of CVs - do you have LokProgrammer or JMRI?

I have neither of those and I was advised not to bother unless you have a considerable amount of loco’s which need their chips tweaking 

13 hours ago, jools1959 said:

I have neither of those and I was advised not to bother unless you have a considerable amount of loco’s which need their chips tweaking 

You're now asking about stuff which is potentially a lot of tweaking of one loco or the other to make them behave closer.   You may find them close-enough out of the box, but if not, adjusting a lot of speed and functions is a lot easier with software tools.  

JMRI interfaces to whatever DCC system you have, assuming that system has a means to attach a computer (which may be "just a lead" or it may be "small box from DCC system maker").    LokProgrammer is an ESU device, which is great for ESU decoders and of limited value for other brands.  

17 hours ago, Richard Croft said:

. . .  I don't believe theres a way for a user to change the drive off delay, . . . 

Richard

Correct. The only straightforward solution is to switch it off.

But there is a 'quick'n dirty' workaround by setting CV2=1 and by staying on speed step 1 for a while when driving off.