Loco identification- Two O gauge models of four coupled mid-Victorian engines

Hi everyone,

I recently spotted this fine pair of engines in a sold lot on Hanson's online auction site:

image.png.0b51f5432d7adb1347560db938f567f8.png

https://hansonslive.hansonsauctioneers.co.uk/m/lot-details/index/catalog/193/lot/95371?url=%2Fm%2Fview-auctions%2Fcatalog%2Fid%2F193%3Fpage%3D6

image.png.54b3d23860496983ed72c4cb713a19df.png

https://hansonslive.hansonsauctioneers.co.uk/m/lot-details/index/catalog/193/lot/95372?url=%2Fm%2Fview-auctions%2Fcatalog%2Fid%2F193%3Fpage%3D6

I haven't been able to work out what prototypes these engines are based upon, as I am not familiar with the livery they have.

However, my suspicion is that they are both models of an off-the-shelf design by a loco builder such as Beyer Peacock or Sharp Stewart that were sold to a main line railway company.

If anyone has any clue, be sure to enlighten me...

Thanks,

Alex

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 24/08/2022 at 16:38, Johnson044 said:

I would think Edwardian or Compound2632 would probably know for sure.

You flatter me, at least. I think you may be onto something with that Yates 2-4-0ST - the L&Y Society page does say this type was built with well tanks, being converted to saddle. I can well believe that L&Y locomotives were painted green in the 60s and 70s - the L&Y Society page says all were black from the mid-80s. In that case, it seems reasonable to presume that the 2-4-0 is also L&Y. I'll have a look tomorrow at what Ahrons has to say.

• RMweb Premium

E.L. Ahrons, Locomotive and Train Working in the Latter Part of the Nineteenth Century Vol. 2 (Heffer, 1952, Reprinted from The Railway Magazine, 1917) pp. 49-50, describes various early L&Y 0-4-2s. These included some 5 ft engines rebuilt from Bury 4-wheel engines, though no numbers are given. (I note the model carries no number.) So it seems possible that this is what the model represents.

There were other 0-4-2s with 4' 10" drivers, about 20 built at Miles Platting and 12 by Fairbairn, but these, Ahrons says, were painted black. There were also three engines Nos. 14, 150, and 151, built in 1869-70 and "somewhat more modern in appearance", along with eight of Patrick Stirling's GNR design, part of an order built by Sharp Stewart in 1875/6.

Ahrons' account differs a bit from that given by the Wikipedia article, which relies on Baxter.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 3