RMweb

Hornby NEM POCKETS. DUMB IDEA.

melvin

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Pacific231G said:

Were I starting again I think I might be quite tempted by the AJ coupler. 

The sloppy fit of OO stock between OO rails creates alignment problems with AJ couplers that EM and P4 modellers don't experience.

I tried them in OO many years ago (despite being warned off). Uncoupling was fairly OK but coupling was very hit-and-miss.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

29 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

The sloppy fit of OO stock between OO rails creates alignment problems with AJ couplers that EM and P4 modellers don't experience.

I tried them in OO many years ago (despite being warned off). Uncoupling was fairly OK but coupling was very hit-and-miss.

John

In my case H0 but, with proprietary rolling stock the same applies. Given the choice I'd choose RP25 wheels and NMRA spec trunouts but with European sleepering. I'll stick to Kadees and I've noticed that a good number of  operation oriented French modellers (even more of a minority there than here) use them.

14 hours ago, Phil Parker said:

You've also been unsucessful in posting without turning bold text on. Knock it off, there's no need to shout. We're here to help.

It would help us if you could say which specific items of rolling stock you are having trouble with. That way people can be more specific in their replies. Thanks.

Two Hornby Class Britannia. Sorry for the Bold email habit.

15 hours ago, Phil Parker said:

You've also been unsucessful in posting without turning bold text on. Knock it off, there's no need to shout. We're here to help.

It would help us if you could say which specific items of rolling stock you are having trouble with. That way people can be more specific in their replies. Thanks.

15 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

The 363 standard is the one that has been adopted for UK outline, with the sole (and defunct) exception of ViTrains. The only example of 362 I've encountered is the sliding interface in the height-adjustable version of Roco's coupler, and they have 363 clips for fitting to the vehicle.

Having used them for near on 30 years, I'd assert that Kadee NEM coupler heads are more compliant than anything into which I've ever attempted to insert them!

That said, I dislike the mounts/pockets on RTR stock and, unless it's unduly difficult, I chop them off and fit "proper" Kadees, usually #141 or 146.

John

• 3 months later...

Hi All - can I tack onto this conversation with a fresh question?

I have a collection of Hornby First Great Western coaches - some are the new release ones (e.g. R40036) which have proper NEMs pockets - but I also have some of the older ones (e.g. R4370) whcih have the larger pockets - which I think were being discussed here?   I want to fit Hunt couplings to all these vehcicles but sadly, on the R4370 series, the pockets are part of the bogie moulding and not detachable via the triangle push fit used on the later model.

No problem says I, I can ask Hornby what the part number for a R40036 bogie moulding is,  get some of those, and all will be well.
Wrong!  I didn't know that  - incredibly - Hornby don't do parts for coaches - not even for models which are current product - which is pretty shabby of them. 

So my question is this.  Is there a simple way to deal with this - does anyone know a source of Hornby coach bogie mouldings that might solve this problem for me? The thought of plastic grafting pukka NEM pockets on to 10 coaches is not an appealing one to me!  I have asked Peters Parts and a couple of other sellers about this - but I am trying to cast the net as wide as possible cos I doubt I am the first person to have this problem (and no, I have not read all through the previous conversation as that seemed to be more about locos than rolling stock).

Thanks for any steers or advice on this.

Alan T

Edited by AlanInCornwall

1 hour ago, AlanInCornwall said:

So my question is this.  Is there a simple way to deal with this - does anyone know a source of Hornby coach bogie mouldings that might solve this problem for me? The thought of plastic grafting pukka NEM pockets on to 10 coaches is not an appealing one to me!  I have asked Peters Parts and a couple of other sellers about this - but I am trying to cast the net as wide as possible cos I doubt I am the first person to have this problem (and no, I have not read all through the previous conversation as that seemed to be more about locos than rolling stock).

Thanks for any steers or advice on this.

Alan T

Your options are pretty limited I'm afraid. The only alternative I could think of is finding/commissioning someone to do a 3D printed version of the bogie.

• Like 1