Caledonian Railway signal box

• RMweb Gold

Hi

Hope i have posted tis in right section. I am looking to get dimensions of Caledonian Railway signal boxes, i believe the exact one i am after is a CRS4 one, but all i can find our photos. 

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Cheers

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, Caley Jim said:

Jim Summers' book 'Signalling the Caledonian Railway' has all the details of CR boxes.

Jim

16 minutes ago, Wheatley said:

The first link in this link goes to the Pop-Up Models site, including a dimensioned drawing:

https://www.crassoc.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1881

Thanks

Exactly what i need. Only problem with model is the steps are on the wrong side, wonder if they can be moved to other side.

• Like 1

I suppose it might be feasible to build it partly  'inside out' so to speak and re-scribe the bricks on the end walls. (Says he who's never tried to scribe MDF or whatever it is in his life !). Or just overlay it with Slaters brick styrene or brick paper. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Wheatley said:

I suppose it might be feasible to build it partly  'inside out' so to speak and re-scribe the bricks on the end walls. (Says he who's never tried to scribe MDF or whatever it is in his life !). Or just overlay it with Slaters brick styrene or brick paper. 

I emailed the guy who does them and he can print it so the steps are on the left, which is very helpful.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, barney121e said:

I see the book talks about signals as well, so that will help me out as well. Although my layout will be just a rough view of the line, i will try and be realistic as i can.

The book is the definitive work on not only CR signalling, but signalling in general.  Written by a retired S & T and operating expert.  No modeller of the CR should be without it.

Jim

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, Caley Jim said:

The book is the definitive work on not only CR signalling, but signalling in general.  Written by a retired S & T and operating expert.  No modeller of the CR should be without it.

Jim

Hi Jim

How do you go about getting rolling stock? Have got modern diesels to run on a what if CR was still running the line, but would like to get some CR stock if possible.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, barney121e said:

Hi Jim

How do you go about getting rolling stock? Have got modern diesels to run on a what if CR was still running the line, but would like to get some CR stock if possible.

It would help considerably if you could tell us what scale and what skills you might have, e.g. can you build kits, etc?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Regularity said:

It would help considerably if you could tell us what scale and what skills you might have, e.g. can you build kits, etc?

Yeah that would help. OO gauge, never built a kit but willing to give it a try.

• Like 1

RTR - Rails/Bachmann 812 Class  0-6-0, Ye Ancient Hornby Single 123 and Grampian-ish coaches (ex-Triang), the slightly less ancient Hornby Caley Pug and, er ... that's it RTR-wise. 

Kits - Caley Coaches do coaches (obvs), locos and some rolling stock in etched brass. DJH do a 294 Class Jumbo 0-6-0 and a 439 Class 0-4-4T, some others if you get lucky on eBay. Branchlines do a chassis kit for the Pug. 

Some rolling stock kits and coaches available via the CR Association from True Line Models and (I think) the former John Boyle Decent Models range of coaches but they're before my era and I'm not familiar with current availability. 

Some CR classes lasted until 1963 and some of their rolling stock was quite long lived if you want to go a bit later, plenty of examples of signals and other infrastructure extant into the 1980s and occasionally beyond too. 

Lots of support available via the CRA. 

Edited by Wheatley
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

8 minutes ago, Wheatley said:

Lots of support available via the CRA. 

If you are modelling the Caley in any period, then membership of the CRA is a must.  The range of information, including books and drawings, available will give you practically everything you need.

jim

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Wizard Models have a small range of whitemetal CR wagon kits, also there is the Peco Parkside (exRatio) 50 Ton Iron Ore bogie mineral wagon, although there was only ever one of them.

Brian.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I see Hornby do a 4-40 and 4-6-0 i think, how easy is it to repaint and adjust to make it a CR one?

20 hours ago, Caley Jim said:

If you are modelling the Caley in any period, then membership of the CRA is a must.  The range of information, including books and drawings, available will give you practically everything you need.

jim

Thanks Jim

Will take a look.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Years back, people used to turn the old Triang M7 into other things, including CR tank locos: a fair bit of styrene sheet was probably used, and that many have been easier due to inaccuracies in the original moulding.

That said, Drummond had previously been in the CR and the NBR, and given how notoriously conservative loco designers could be, the basic dimensions might be close: same for his T9.

The other point is, they may be close enough for your purposes if the look is more important than dimensional accuracy.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Caledonian said:

Often overlooked in scrabbling around for Caley locomotives is the ROD 2-8-0 brought to us by Bachmannn and briefly used by the Caley after WW1

Thanks, will take a look.

Have joined the association and already received the signal box which is excellent service. Not sure exactly what way i will go. Might get the signal book and see what possibilities it opens. First in my mind is Quintinshill, but will see what else might work.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Regularity said:

No point in starting small, eh?

Well only have 8x4 to start with, so will be  rather squashed. But having the two main lines and the passing loops would fit. I do have a generic plan which i could run as a CR heritage line, so thats another option.

• Like 1