GNR 6 wheel Howlden's

13 minutes ago, MikeTrice said:

The cornice (the strip along the side of the roof that covers the join between the canvas and the side) should be teak, not white:

Cheers Mike, so a bit more Teaking to do then :) 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So another coach to add to the mix, not quite half way yet, but have added a 6 compartment third to the mix. I have also thanks to Mike's keen eyes fixed the teaking on the beading that runs along the roof channel.

Next up is the 6 wheel full brake, followed by a 5 compartment third, 5 compartment comp, and a first class lavatory coach to complete the rake.

The lovely Mr Ian MacCormac has sent me some fantastic transfers for these coaches I can't wait to apply they are absolutely fantastic so thanks buddy I owe you big time!

Im wondering also whether I should run a gloss varnish over these Howldens, out shopped they would have been very shiny indeed, they will need weathering down a bit, once the transfers are on.

IMG_3029.JPG

IMG_3031.JPG

IMG_3033.JPG

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 10
  • Round of applause 1

5 hours ago, Edwardian said:

Very nice.

Please sell me prints in 4mil, otherwise it's also cruel!

Cheers James, and yes I have been some what slack on the ole 4mm stuff lately, as soon as i do I will ping you sir, I still want to have a crack at those LCDR coaches as well at some point, as they look lovely! But as soon as i finish these im going to get cracking on the LBSC 6 wheeler Billinton's all being well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Some pre Teaked photos capturing the process used to teak these coaches.

Halfords matt yellow primer

1906906314_IMG_2998(1).JPG.cd2336dcfb447f750f91132f69b2c596.JPG

1 to 1 mix of Vallejo Orange Brown and Bright Orange for the base coat thinly applied over the Matt primer yellow

724040315_IMG_3006(1).JPG.da7ae3b09cffcd3c50a3a87384353b60.JPG

Some panels picked out in a slightly darker shades and lighter shades for that varied panelled finish, and with a  coat of pledge clear floor polish sploshed over the top ready for the oil paint.

747714795_IMG_3022(1).JPG.4bb673559838afcc2ac7d0090afe52c8.JPG

After this I will use a medium flat brush and lightly wash some Vandyke Brown oil over the top of this to create the graining effect. I keep working the grain until I am happy with the effect, the beauty of oil paints are you have a long working time, and should you not be happy you can remove it with thinners or turps and it will not destroy your acrylic base layers below.

For the full explanation see Mikes excellent thread below detailing the process he uses, and the one of which I have adopted for painting these coaches so thanks Mike for sharing :) 

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6
  • Round of applause 1

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks Linny and James very kind words indeed, still a way off being finished yet, but a huge thanks has to go to @ianmaccormac for all his help and support with the amazing transfers, and work he put into those, along with @thegreenhowards and @MikeTrice who have helped out massively with reference material, and advice on the build of these coaches.

I have to admit they have been super fun to build, and im quite keen to have a go at a full length Bogie coach soon, maybe one of those beautiful 12 wheeler GNR/ECJS Clerestories in 7mm, not suitable for our club layout, but would be amazing to build, especially with all the seating inside, and lighting!!!

Diagrams as follows

Full Brake: Diagram 301

First Class: Diagram 84

Lav Comp: Diagram 147

6 compartment third: Diagram 243

5 compartment third: Diagram 245

Third class Brake: Diagram 283

And the last one currently on the bench half way printed is the 5 compartment Comp Diagram 155

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

You were in good hands.  I ask because I have the GN Soc. volumes on the Howlden stock and, as parishioners may have noticed, I can be a bit of a coach nerd, and wanted to look them up! 

They are magnificent. Any chance of 4mil versions?

• Like 2

Haha I have to say I am becoming a bit of a coach Nerd too James I think once you start looking into all these beautifully crafted coaches of these by gone eras it is hard not to be impressed by the scale of detail and finish.

I am looking into knocking up some 4mil versions to chuck behind my dads Stirling, hopefully for chrimbo! I probably won't make all of the variations above in 4mil but a third, first, comp and full, and third brake perhaps. So once I have them scaled down and adjusted for 4mil I will post and let you know sir.

Ideally it be fantastic to find someone who'd be keen on printing all these coaches out for any potential folks who might want some, as I have to admit the printing aspect is my least favourite part of the production :)

Cheers

Rob

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, woko said:

Haha I have to say I am becoming a bit of a coach Nerd too James I think once you start looking into all these beautifully crafted coaches of these by gone eras it is hard not to be impressed by the scale of detail and finish.

I am looking into knocking up some 4mil versions to chuck behind my dads Stirling, hopefully for chrimbo! I probably won't make all of the variations above in 4mil but a third, first, comp and full, and third brake perhaps. So once I have them scaled down and adjusted for 4mil I will post and let you know sir.

Ideally it be fantastic to find someone who'd be keen on printing all these coaches out for any potential folks who might want some, as I have to admit the printing aspect is my least favourite part of the production :)

Cheers

Rob

One of each would give me an ideal GNR train for Castle Aching, having the Stirling 4-2-2 and two GNR 2-2-2s (!), I'm keen to have a train for them!

Gary (Blue Lightening) is doing some stock printing. I don't know whether his bed would accommodate these. 

I hope I'll have teaked some Oldburys by then, so should be up for painting some Howldens.

Edited by Edwardian
More wheels needed!
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

One of each would give me an ideal GNR for Castle Aching, having the Stirling 4-2-0 and two GNR 2-2-2s (!), I'm keen to have a train for them!

Gary (Blue Lightening) is doing some stock printing. I don't know whether his bed would accommodate these. 

I hope I'll have teaked some Oldburys by then, so should be up for painting some Howldens.

That would look the business James! And good point I know Gary's doing some excellent stuff with Linny, the SECR ex LCDR coach set looks fantastic, I will ping him and see what he says.

Cheers

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Andy that is super kind, but seeing what a cracking job you made on building and painting that 7mm GNR C12 I had to pull my finger out chap and create something for it to pull :) looking forward to seeing all this stuff running at the next O gauge club running night all being well.  

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 12/09/2022 at 15:50, woko said:

That would look the business James! And good point I know Gary's doing some excellent stuff with Linny, the SECR ex LCDR coach set looks fantastic, I will ping him and see what he says.

Cheers

I'm sure we could come to an arrangement, if they don't fit on the shops printer then I am planning on getting a printer with a much bigger bed at home, although I can already print the SE&CR 6 wheelers on the existing home printer.

1158805628_2022-09-1316_15_05.jpg.9e9b66c4c9f967a089c7d367e5800d7a.jpg

(available soon before anyone asks, let me finish my set first 😛)

Gary

Edited by BlueLightning
  • Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

7 minutes ago, BlueLightning said:

I'm sure we could come to an arrangement, if they don't fit on the shops printer then I am planning on getting a printer with a much bigger bed at home, although I can already print the SE&CR 6 wheelers on the existing home printer.

1158805628_2022-09-1316_15_05.jpg.9e9b66c4c9f967a089c7d367e5800d7a.jpg

Gary

Will be begging to buy these SE&CR coaches

Will be begging to but 5 GNR Howldens

This is me begging. 

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
58 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Will be begging to buy these SE&CR coaches

Will be begging to but 5 GNR Howldens

This is me begging. 

Once I have finished my set, and got a few more sets printed I'll make a post on my thread about them. I'll make sure to add an extra set to my print queue so you can have them!

Gary

Edited by BlueLightning
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, BlueLightning said:

Gary

Sounds good to me Gary, and I have some other bits potentially if you fancy printing those too :) 

• Like 2