Greenford in 00 Gauge: Circa 2010-2017 (FGW, Chiltern, LU, Virgin + Plenty of Freight)

WCML100

Following on from the completion of the JGA, attention turned back to the layout to finish a couple of easy jobs. 

(Almost) All track on the station board is now laid and fixed into place. The usual methods of sleeper spacing used, which although takes so much time to achieve definitely improves the look so is worth while. Only part remaining unfixed on this board is the bull head towards the very end of the bay line (less than a coach length). This is because I want to fix this down when I add the buffer stops. This now means both east and west bound central line tracks are in and fixed down as well as the majority of the bay. The eastbound is laid in concrete (was fairly fresh in the time we are modelling it), with a slight curve inwards towRd the platform side at the west end of the platform - something we missed when originally laying the track. The westbound is in flat bottom wooden sleeper along with the majority of the bay. 

IMG_1124.jpeg.3658364c44c23f2df4a7861c796ca65a.jpeg

IMG_1126.jpeg.0a4b98fc6a6be99ca87a318fed2a58a2.jpeg

IMG_1125.jpeg.0c1a9cf85429eae347c570194df4752c.jpeg

You can see a hint of an escalator as we start to plan out the platforms around these tracks now fixed into place. Once the bridges are sorted, I would image out attention will start turning to the platform and station more. I also tidied up the cork edge of the board where the greenford branch joins. 

IMG_1127.jpeg.f93fa845173ca69a234828809bde1081.jpeg

That’s it for this small update. Hope to have some more to share with you soon! 

• Like 12
  • Round of applause 1

• 4 weeks later...

On the subject of tube stock and my apoligies if you've addressed this in the thread, do you have some 92 stock or is it one of those things being 3D printed/kit built? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, klambert said:

On the subject of tube stock and my apoligies if you've addressed this in the thread, do you have some 92 stock or is it one of those things being 3D printed/kit built? 

I have touched on it previously but happy to comment again as modelling Greenford the 92 stock is well, kind of important!

We haven't got any 92 stock units as of yet, the plan is to get the full all in one kit when it is released by Phoenix Precision of the older metro models kit. However I do hope someone eventually makes a RTR model as I think it would look great! Fingers crossed!

We plan to have 2 variants, one pre refurbishment as delivered and used up until 2012 ish and one post 2012 refurb.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, WCML100 said:

I have touched on it previously but happy to comment again as modelling Greenford the 92 stock is well, kind of important!

We haven't got any 92 stock units as of yet, the plan is to get the full all in one kit when it is released by Phoenix Precision of the older metro models kit. However I do hope someone eventually makes a RTR model as I think it would look great! Fingers crossed!

We plan to have 2 variants, one pre refurbishment as delivered and used up until 2012 ish and one post 2012 refurb.

I wish I'd known sooner! When I was at the London Festival of Railway Modelling, I saw one of the operators of Welby Lane RTC were selling a 4 car set of 92 stock, looked to be complete, painted and motorised, you never know they could still have it. Maybe worth getting in contact with them, this is their FB page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1570209033235710/

Pre-refurb, that brings back memories, with the 'gaffer taped' front ends.

Edited by klambert
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

50 minutes ago, klambert said:

I wish I'd known sooner! When I was at the London Festival of Railway Modelling, I saw one of the operators of Welby Lane RTC were selling a 4 car set of 92 stock, looked to be complete, painted and motorised, you never know they could still have it. Maybe worth getting in contact with them, this is their FB page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1570209033235710/

Pre-refurb, that brings back memories, with the 'gaffer taped' front ends.

Thanks - very helpful. Will reach out to them

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...

Todays work has been focused around getting the right rail colour sorted for the various track on the layout. 

So I dug out the trusty test board which was used for our ballast try, and since as a photo plinth. I tried various colours to see what sat best against the sleepers and ballast colours. Note to self, always make sure you paint before you ballast! Only a reminder as this was always the plan, but for a test I wanted to see how it sat against ballast and sleepers in real time! 

After 30 mins of a quick splash and dash of various paints, here is the outcome shown under natural sunlight…

Humbrol Matt 62 (way too bright for freshly laid rusty rail)

IMG_2684.jpeg.d4620bd2e000a6daa49e0c18a8a6f8ea.jpeg

Humbrol Matt 186 (looks good on the eye, good for rail that has a rusty coloured finish etc)

IMG_2685.jpeg.e35028e9a061ba595e38c65b2c88bf24.jpeg

Tamiya Matt X51 Flat Earth (a nice monotone colour and works well for that mid weathered finish)

IMG_2686.jpeg.19ed25ec684113d698d53f9216b901dd.jpeg

Humbrol Matt 119 (not quite right at all!)

IMG_2687.jpeg.e5daad0a429ff36907c85c815d513fa8.jpeg

Here is some photos (taken from flickr) during the time period we are modelling. The New North Main line rails look pretty close to Humbrol Matt 18 to my eye so pretty happy with that match.

HST Under The Semaphores, Greenford

57308, Greenford, 13 June 2014

The Eastbound Central line track however seems to be a closer match with the Tamiya Flat Earth as seen below (nearest to camera). The Westbound Central Line, seems to be relatively similar to the Eastbound. So likely will be the same used there. 

IMGP8984

For the bay, its a lot more grubby and I think I will need to look for a darker, deeper brown colour for this (at least within the bay) - it seems to be similar to the rest of the New North Mainline upon exit of the platform. 

Greenford Underground station

That’s all for now. Will be great to hear any feedback or suggestions for other colours to test and try! Cheers 👍🏻

• Like 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Posted (edited)

Nice work, I like your attention to detail with the different lines and their various states of weathering. It's often assumed everything on a modern image layout should look brand new! 

As you ask for feedback, the Tamiya flat earth is my favourite rail colour! Is that an enamel one? 

I must say, from experience rail painting takes and absolute age especially over complex pointwork. I wish you luck with it 😅 I wonder if there is a quicker way to apply the colour - maybe using an airbrush you could finely spray along the rails at a close distance? There'd be some overspill but that could look realistic. 

Edited by EWS60065
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, EWS60065 said:

Nice work, I like your attention to detail with the different lines and their various states of weathering. It's often assumed everything on a modern image layout should look brand new! 

As you ask for feedback, the Tamiya flat earth is my favourite rail colour! Is that an enamel one? 

I must say, from experience rail painting takes and absolute age especially over complex pointwork. I wish you luck with it 😅 I wonder if there is a quicker way to apply the colour - maybe using an airbrush you could finely spray along the rails at a close distance? There'd be some overspill but that could look realistic. 

Haha thanks, yes its absolutely one of the most painful and time consuming tasks but certainly worth it in my eyes. 

I think it is easy to replicate the same colour or method across a whole layout but everything is different, been replaced at different times, weathered differently depending on the type of traffic etc. So it is helpful to have reference photos to replicate in this instance. 

In regard's to the paint, they are all enamel including the humbrol. The Humbrol 186 and the Tamiya Flat Earth definitely come close to the real thing in my opinion. 

Air brush wise I haven’t used one yet so not sure I will be going down that route for now at least!

• Like 2

Love the research on the track and the testing with various methods! I’d also recommend trying rail match frame dirt for the rail sides, this is very convincing for bedded in track.

I’d also recommend painting the concrete sleepers as well, as this makes a huge difference. I used Plastikote suede for the sleepers and frame dirt for the rails:

IMG_0360.jpeg.a944e31839a44f0fa70bb54b1a38ccf1.jpeg

This is also frame dirt, with a significant amount of weathered black added over the top to represent a yard with ash ballast:

IMG_0343.jpeg.30618752e131c7733bc4da7611e81014.jpeg

Also well worth priming the the sleepers and the rail with either a metal or general purpose primer then you don’t get paint peel.

Keep up the good work - looking forward to seeing this develop! Hopefully that helps!

Kind regards,

Will

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

10 hours ago, Southwich said:

Love the research on the track and the testing with various methods! I’d also recommend trying rail match frame dirt for the rail sides, this is very convincing for bedded in track.

I’d also recommend painting the concrete sleepers as well, as this makes a huge difference. I used Plastikote suede for the sleepers and frame dirt for the rails:

IMG_0360.jpeg.a944e31839a44f0fa70bb54b1a38ccf1.jpeg

This is also frame dirt, with a significant amount of weathered black added over the top to represent a yard with ash ballast:

IMG_0343.jpeg.30618752e131c7733bc4da7611e81014.jpeg

Also well worth priming the the sleepers and the rail with either a metal or general purpose primer then you don’t get paint peel.

Keep up the good work - looking forward to seeing this develop! Hopefully that helps!

Kind regards,

Will

Thanks Will. This is all extremely helpful!

I have some railmatch frame dirt so will give that a go! Thought of that colour never crossed my mind! It looks great from your pictures for that darker brown tone you see on the more worn in rails. 

Regarding the sleepers, I am glad you recommended as I was planning to paint them once I had done the rail sides. I was however still unsure on a colour but that colour has sold me! I will be giving the Plastikote suede a go! Out of interest do you paint these once in situ or before placement separate from the rails? It’s too late for me now as I have already glued the track down on the station board but would be good to know for the next boards! Especially where I am planning to build some of our own track in places. 

thanks for the help and the kind words 👍🏻

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, WCML100 said:

Thanks Will. This is all extremely helpful!

I have some railmatch frame dirt so will give that a go! Thought of that colour never crossed my mind! It looks great from your pictures for that darker brown tone you see on the more worn in rails. 

Regarding the sleepers, I am glad you recommended as I was planning to paint them once I had done the rail sides. I was however still unsure on a colour but that colour has sold me! I will be giving the Plastikote suede a go! Out of interest do you paint these once in situ or before placement separate from the rails? It’s too late for me now as I have already glued the track down on the station board but would be good to know for the next boards! Especially where I am planning to build some of our own track in places. 

thanks for the help and the kind words 👍🏻

Glad it has helped - I would recommend spraying the sleepers before you ballast otherwise you’re going to be there a long  time hand painting them! 

I did in situ, with some very rough masking. Photo from a long time ago below: 

IMG_3691.jpeg.8080a9745f4af7204d4cc585480bf6a0.jpeg

I then brush painted the rail sides, clips and chairs frame dirt on the concrete sleeper track with a 5/0 brush to bed it all in before weathering which I think I used a mix of weathered black and roof dirt. But all depends on what you’re trying to go for!

In hindsight I think I would have also dry brushed some white on the concrete sleepers, but you live and learn! I think an dark black ink wash would have been good as well, Boomer Diorama on YouTube has some great techniques for weathering track - well worth a watch if you haven’t already seen his content. 

Kind regards,

Will

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 5