RMweb

Dapol Class 26 lights

RexAshton

Can anyone help please.

I have an N gauge Dapol class 26 which works perfectly on DC. I've fitted a DCC Concepts Next18 decoder to it and the No2 end lights don't work. No1 end is fine. Spoke to DCC Concepts and they replaced the decoder as faulty, The new decoder still has the same issue.  Unfortunately I can't check the decoder in another loco as it's the only Next18 one that I have. I've reset the decoder using CV8 to no avail. Any help would be much appreciated.

This is because of how Dapol wire the lighting outputs for a N18 decoder. If you refer to the Dapol sheet provided with the loco it will tell which function outputs are wired to which lights.  Re-mapping the front and rear lighting so that they work with F0F and F0R is fairly straightforward. Just follow the cv changes as described by your decoder manufacturer. 

Assuming that DCC Concepts follow NMRA standards then the following should make it all work for you:

cv33 = 9

cv34 = 6

Edited by jamesed

Thanks. I've tried that and I've got automatic direction changing at No1 end but both red and white all the time on No 2 end. After a bit more research I've now got No1 end working properly - as it's done throughout and No2 end changing directionally but showing red when going forwards and white in reverse. Current CVs are

CV33 5

CV34 3

CV35 9

CV36 9

Onwards and upwards as they say.

Is what you are looking for to have directional lighting on F0?  i.e. white on front and red at back when going forward and the opposite way around for reverse?

Assuming it is then cv33 and cv34 are what you need to focus on as these are what control:

cv33 = F0 forward

cv34 = F0 reverse

So with a value of 5 for cv33 that's switching bits 0 and 2

with a value of 3 for cv 34 that's switching bits  0 and 1

This therefore can't be right because whichever direction you are going it is activating bit 0 which is most likely your forward white light. 

If 0 and 2 is correct for going forward then the reverse direction should be 1 and 3 which is a cv34 value of 10.    

Give that a try. cv33=5.  cv34=10

and set cv35 and cv36 both to zero for now because that's just complicating things.

If that's right except that they come on the wrong way around for the direction of travel simply reverse them to cv33=10 and cv34=5

33 and 34 should be 1 and 2 so they come on with F0 in the forward and reverse directions respectively

I'd try setting 35 to 1, and 36 to 2 as well. That should map output Aux 1 to come on with F0 forward, And Aux 2 to F0 reverse. This is rashly assuming that the white lights at No. 2 end are Aux1 and the red lights at No. 2 end are Aux2.

If this gets you lights at either end, that change with direction but are the wrong way round, try CV 35 to 2, and CV 36 to 1.

These CVs are assigning the function output to the F key, so anything above two is just adding control to extra function keys.

CV33 of 5 will assign the No. 1 end white lights to F0f, and F1.

CV34 of 3 will assign the No. 1 end red lights to F0f and F0r

CV35 of 9 will assign Aux 1 to F0f and F2

CV36 of 9 will do the same for Aux 2

Worth a try...

I take it all back, I think I got the table the wrong way round...

Ken

Edited by Luke Piewalker
I'm an idiot

Hi

By default on a Dapol N Gauge loco F0 controls the lights at the front or number 1 end of the loco. F1 controls the headlights at the back or number 2 end and F2 controls the taillights at the back.

So first you need to set CV33 to 9 and CV34 to 6. You'll now get both sets of lights on at the back of the loco whenever you press F0. Next set CV51 to 16 and CV52 to 0 this will make the headlights at the back of the loco only come on in the  reverse direction and the taillights to only come on in the forward direction.

That should give you what you want, but if you decide that you want independent control of the lights at the front and back you’d need to change the function mapping again, its not very hard. To set F1 to control the lights at the back of the loco set CV35 to 12, CV33 to 1, and CV34 to 2.

Regards,

John P

• 5 months later...
On 13/08/2022 at 19:38, jpendle said:

Hi

By default on a Dapol N Gauge loco F0 controls the lights at the front or number 1 end of the loco. F1 controls the headlights at the back or number 2 end and F2 controls the taillights at the back.

So first you need to set CV33 to 9 and CV34 to 6. You'll now get both sets of lights on at the back of the loco whenever you press F0. Next set CV51 to 16 and CV52 to 0 this will make the headlights at the back of the loco only come on in the  reverse direction and the taillights to only come on in the forward direction.

That should give you what you want, but if you decide that you want independent control of the lights at the front and back you’d need to change the function mapping again, its not very hard. To set F1 to control the lights at the back of the loco set CV35 to 12, CV33 to 1, and CV34 to 2.

Regards,

John P

Hi John

Sorry it's been a while. Your suggestions worked a treat. Thanks for the info.

• Thanks 1