Current GWR Green as used on 143,150,153,158,166 & HST.

Hello all .

Hoping someone can help. I'm in need of the GWR Paints as used on the above list of stock but cannot find anything listed on Precision or Railmatch. Is there anything you good people may have used that would be a good match?  I have an old Dapol 150/2  That my littleboy wants me to paint in GWR Green  and could have sworn I had seen the Gloss and Matt Green and the Silver for the Doors colours listed so it stripped  (just need to fill in the Toilet Window) but I'm a bit stuck now. 

Cheers Trailrage  

I found that Phoenix Precision P323 Southern Dark Olive was quite close but needed to be a bit more blue. Mixing 6-10ml of Revell SM350 Dark Blue into a 50ml tinlet of the Dark Olive came out about right.

Regards,

Geoff

GWR Turbo Box.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 13/08/2022 at 23:55, delticman said:

I found that Phoenix Precision P323 Southern Dark Olive was quite close but needed to be a bit more blue. Mixing 6-10ml of Revell SM350 Dark Blue into a 50ml tinlet of the Dark Olive came out about right.

Regards,

Geoff

GWR Turbo Box.JPG

That looks brilliant. I would have never thought of mixing paint to get the correct shade for this. I could have sworn the correct paint was produced. Closest I could find was Precision Paints Pre First Group Great Western Green. But I have no idea if its even the same shade. Nothing on Railmatch or Rainbow Railways either. Also What Decals Did you use? . Thanks for the Reply.

Cheers Trailrage 

The old Great Western green was nowhere near the new green which is both darker and has more blue in it. I was commissioned by First Group in 2015 to produce models of a Class 166, HST and Class 57 (with a couple of sleeper cars to represent the Night Riviera) in the proposed new green GWR livery. As the livery did not exist at that time I had no choice but to mix my own paint but you would think it would be available now.

The decals were made for me by John Peck at Precision Labels using the drawings from the design team responsible for the new livery, happily he has updated them and they are now available to order from them, he has included a photo of my 166, HST, and 57 on the web page to which I have provided a link :-

http://www.precisionlabels.com/d77gwr.html?

I hope this is helpful,

Regards,

Geoff

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1