PCB track - out of fashion? And another question…..

Guest Jack Benson

Guest Jack Benson

Hi,

Currently getting ready to build my last BLT, this time using proper(ish) BH track albeit 16,5mm because I can’t be faffed to rebuild all the stock for EM.

Proper track has to be BH, no idea which plain track to use, it will depend on availability but turnouts…….my first choice would be Peco code 75BH but when are the medium versions arriving? Second choice is either Easytrack B7 kits or Marcway kits* but the latter seem to have dropped off their website, have Marcway abandoned PCB 4mm turnout kits?  Is PCB trackwork no longer in vogue, I ask because it is in my ‘comfort zone’ and concerned about availability of bits. 

Final question, if I recall correctly, someone was using Peco FB75 turnouts titivated with bits of C&L chairs glued over Peco’s rail clips but the article is no longer ‘findable’, does any remember this idea? 

*I have enough Tortoise motors for handbuilt turnouts.

Thanks and StayCool

Jack

Firstly as far as I know Marcway are still building 4nn scale track, they are certainly building track

The best flexitrack in my opinion is the new thicker C&L track, it comes in meter lengths but the bases are in 60' panels and has keys in the chairs

Copperclad construction is still in vogue, but owing to the sharp rise in the cost of PCB strip its no longer a much cheaper alternative

In mu opinion the geometry of Peco turnouts is wrong for most applications having equalised timbering, looks great for crossings and crossovers, but wrong for most single turnout applications. The worst thing is the broken/bent last timber, this is prototypically wrong

• Agree 2

Guest Jack Benson
47 minutes ago, hayfield said:

Jack

Firstly as far as I know Marcway are still building 4nn scale track, they are certainly building track

The best flexitrack in my opinion is the new thicker C&L track, it comes in meter lengths but the bases are in 60' panels and has keys in the chairs

Copperclad construction is still in vogue, but owing to the sharp rise in the cost of PCB strip its no longer a much cheaper alternative

In mu opinion the geometry of Peco turnouts is wrong for most applications having equalised timbering, looks great for crossings and crossovers, but wrong for most single turnout applications. The worst thing is the broken/bent last timber, this is prototypically wrong

Hi John,

Last night, I looked at the Marcway website and the only listed turnout kits were for O hence my query but I may be wrong.

Do you refer to Peco Code 75 FB in your last paragraph or their latest Code 75 BH turnouts?

Considering the cost of Peco's Code 75 BH large turnout, the British Finescale B7 kit looks favourite but it depends how I get on with the first attempt......I merely need five medium turnouts for a truly small Col.Stephens inspired LR terminus. The layout is just a layout that 'never leaves home' built on four separate modules.

and KeithHC, thanks I will try and find some photos of his work.

StayCool.

1 hour ago, Jack Benson said:

Hi John,

Last night, I looked at the Marcway website and the only listed turnout kits were for O hence my query but I may be wrong.

Do you refer to Peco Code 75 FB in your last paragraph or their latest Code 75 BH turnouts?

Considering the cost of Peco's Code 75 BH large turnout, the British Finescale B7 kit looks favourite but it depends how I get on with the first attempt......I merely need five medium turnouts for a truly small Col.Stephens inspired LR terminus. The layout is just a layout that 'never leaves home' built on four separate modules.

and KeithHC, thanks I will try and find some photos of his work.

StayCool.

Jack

Good morning, some time ago Marcway took over SMP, they sell 00 gauge turnouts using their SMP brand, http://www.marcway.net/list3.php?col=head&name=OO+COPPER+CLAD+KITS, as for ready made turnouts

Custom made  http://www.marcway.net/list2.php?col=head&name=Marcway+00+%26+EM+Pointwork

I would not use SMP plans, use Templot plans far more accurate, I would also buy the components separately as its cheaper

Peco's code 75 bullhead turnouts have equalised timbering and the bent longest end timber. Flatbottom code 75 has the more normal timbers square on to the straight road

https://peco-uk.com/products/turnout-large-radius-right-hand

I have built one of Wayne's first generation turnouts with a cast common crossing, it was very easy to build. Since then the design has been altered to rail only, no one seems to have complained.

If you can build SMP copperclad kits where you file the switches and crossings, build them from plastic components, its easier than soldering  !!

• Like 1