Painting a mk2d blue & grey- livery plans, designs?

• RMweb Gold

I'm painting a mk2d in blue & grey, using acrylic spraying. I've already done the blue as a base layer, over some Halfords grey primer.

How do I mask off the grey area? It looks quite tricky, especially just below cantrail, and doing the rounded corners. Is there a design, plan, or spec that has dimensions?

Thanks, Neil 

I know this may not be what you want to hear but I would always do the rail grey first on top.of the grey primer then mask off the rail grey and spray the blue on top. 

I am not sure what scale you model in but in 4mm there are the HMRS pack that include the white lining corners that separate the blue from grey and allow for a little variation of the blue/grey. I normally just cut the masking to shape by eye.  Both my MK1 BSO cut and shut and XP64 build on here show the technique 

Edited by 37114
Clarity
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, 37114 said:

I know this may not be what you want to hear but I would always do the rail grey first on top.of the grey primer then mask off the rail grey and spray the blue on top. 

I am not sure what scale you model in but in 4mm there are the HMRS pack that include the white lining corners that separate the blue from grey and allow for a little variation of the blue/grey. I normally just cut the masking to shape by eye.  Both my MK1 BSO cut and shut and XP64 build on here show the technique 

Agreed - always better to overcoat dark shades onto light ones rather than vice versa.

In the case of BR blue-grey there is less masking too.

Cheers

Darius

12 minutes ago, rodent279 said:

It is 4mm. I've got the white lining pack, but not sure I should put this on first?

I would do in this order;

- Grey Primer

- Rail Grey

- Blue

- Roof grey (if roof is not separate)

- lining transfers 

- Number transfers and any other decals

- Satin Varnish (to protect transfers)

- Weathering 

• RMweb Gold

Thanks. I think...🥴

Bit late now, this is the current state of play:-

IMG_20220816_205418361.jpg.efd53fd56521c4f4aeba281e10dc9176.jpg

So I guess the best I can do is mask off the blue, and put a layer of primer over the area I want to be grey?

Apart from that, how do I place the mask? By eye, or are there dimensions/plans that I can work from?

• RMweb Premium

I've said this before, but it surprises me that the pre-cut mask used by aircraft modellers hasn't made its way into the model railway world.  BR blue-grey carriages would be an ideal application as all you'd need would be end shapes of appropriate depth for the type of carriage with accurately cut corners, the rest filled in with plain tape, paper etc.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

7 hours ago, rodent279 said:

Thanks. I think...🥴

Bit late now, this is the current state of play:-

IMG_20220816_205418361.jpg.efd53fd56521c4f4aeba281e10dc9176.jpg

So I guess the best I can do is mask off the blue, and put a layer of primer over the area I want to be grey?

Apart from that, how do I place the mask? By eye, or are there dimensions/plans that I can work from?

I would do it by eye, each manufacturer has slight variations in their window height position etc. I am sure there will be painting drawings out there but I haven't seen them 

• 1 year later...

Oh joy!

I painted the rail blue several hours ago and now whilst I wait for it to dry and I have some waiting time I thought that I should search for tips about the grey.

All is not lost however, I will still benefit very considerably from the information about the white lining.

Simon

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

The grey on my 6B DEMU is actually Tamiya grey primer. I did not bother using rail grey as it was close enough for me. Rail Blue sprayed over the top then gloss varnish, decals then finally satin varnish.

20231123_145533.jpeg

• Agree 1