Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Class 350 Desiro pictures

• RMweb Premium

Probably not everyone's cup of tea but the 350 has a special place in my affection as it was my ride to work for a decade when I lived in Milton Keynes and worked in London. They always struck me as a well designed and extremely well made units let down by a terrible ride quality, ruined by very harsh yaw motion. The interior trim varied from very nice on the 2+2 350/1 & 350/3, to not very nice on the 2+3 350/2.

350 22.JPG

350 21.JPG

350 27.JPG

350 19.JPG

• Like 1

• Moderators
15 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

let down by a terrible ride quality,

I prefer to travel First on one rather than Second on a Pendolino to the smoke even if it takes a little longer. Generally cheaper too.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

The first class section is very pleasant. I find harsh ride lets down a few Siemens designs, I still much prefer the older Class 373 to the Class 374 Eurostar trains for the same reason. Someone told me it's because Siemens have very stiff bogies as a result of German permanent way, don't know if that is correct or not. 

• RMweb Premium

Last one I used we travelled First from around Kings Langley when seats became available, last but one departure from Euston calling all stations on a Saturday night having seen Muse at the ex-Olympic stadium in 2019. Absolutley full 5 minutes before departure, and left enough people on the platform to half fill the last train.

Not a fan of the current livery, but here is the original livery...

350112b.JPG.88c05bb78b327ee873a34e2abee04305.JPG

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

My favourite livery on the class is London Midland, the one still carried by many of them, albeit with London Northwest branding.

Agreed, this one then...

350115_2c.JPG.9f120a053907334e7dc4529e48d4da23.JPG

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

The 350 fleet did have modifications to the bogies not long after delivery. They were incredibly harsh to the track, rail was wearing out far quicker than it should. The 450 fleet didn’t, from memory, has the same level of modification, though I would argue they ride a little better. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I don't know whether it was psychological, or maybe the more comfortable seating, but I always found the 350/1's better than the 350/2. Some of them could be very harsh in terms of lateral movement and yaw control. I used to sometimes use the Southern Electrostar services over the same track when Southern operated to MK and I always found the electrostars noticeably better riding.

• RMweb Premium

I know this may kick off a whole different debate which can draw strong opinions, but I have to say my experience is that the yellow door increases visibility of the units significantly.

It does,  but they could've at least kept some yellow around the lights so it looks more aesthetically pleasing, maybe in line with the edge of the grey windscreen surround. The yellow door just looks like a miscoloured spare part on a drab livery.

The new LNWR stuff without the yellow panel is very dark. Even with bright headlights, a darkly coloured front blends into the surroundings making it harder to judge its speed.

https://flic.kr/p/2mbDYMy

At least some yellow (or orange, red, bright blue etc) on the front helps you judge the speed of the train as it gets bigger. Anyway, that's another debate...

Jo

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium

A fox runs across infront of 350256 and 350408, having run across the other way a few minutes earlier with food presumably for its cubs...

IMG_1630.JPG.ac5db21f74f897e4aeee1fb17c381ea2.JPG

• Like 2

On 05/09/2022 at 20:15, Ncarter2 said:

The 350 fleet did have modifications to the bogies not long after delivery. They were incredibly harsh to the track, rail was wearing out far quicker than it should. The 450 fleet didn’t, from memory, has the same level of modification, though I would argue they ride a little better. 

The 450s and 444s both had bogie modifications as they were hammering the track to bits.  I have no idea whether the mods were the same as the 350s but the track access charges for both 450s and 444s were reduced after they were done which suggests the results of the mods were significant.

Going back to the first post and the comments on ride quality, I found it interesting that they were considered as riding badly. Compared to the trains (and tracks) we have here in Melbourne, I found the 350s I rode in in 2018 to be like a magic carpet! Plus they go a lot faster than our local suburban trains. It's all relative, of course, but if you wish to be thrown around and hammered by sudden lateral movements as well as vertical ones, come over here and ride one of Melbourne's X'trapolis trains. 🙃