The last months of UK model railway production at Margate

andyman7

Like many others, once the new generation of Chinese made super detail models came on stream I divested myself of many models bought previously, but recently I have been quite interested in those final days of Hornby UK model railway production at Margate. The normal division is made between 'Hornby Railways' as the final incarnation of the Triang family of models and 'Hornby' denoting post-1998 Chia production. However, the first Chinese made models emerged in 1992 with items such as the Class 92, and the reissue of the old Triang B12 sporting quite amazingly intricate printing and insignia on a Triang-era bodyshell. Between 1992 and 1998 there was a mix of UK and China production and an interim box style involving both standard red and 'deluxe' brown 'Top Link' packaging which had the place of manufacture on the end label allowing for goods from either origin to be packed.

Two of the most interesting models to me from this era are the 00 gauge Eurostar and the Networker, both of which only ever appeared in 'Hornby' named packaging and neither of which used the standard RIngfield mechanisms, yet both of which were made in Margate for the first production run before the tooling was shipped to China. These models are often overlooked as Margate items but are the very last 'new' tooling that emerged from the Westwood plant.

The other change often associated with China but which actually predated it was the move to 4-digit 'R' numbers. This finally ended the recycling of the R number and ensured that each item had a unique reference (and has meant that as of 2021 Hornby have needed to move to 5 digit R numbers). An example of this is the very last Margate issue of the Class 91, and the last one to carry Intercity livery until the just-released new tool model this year. The pictures show R2069 'Robert Adley' in final style 'Top Link' box with leaflet and plain header card, leaflet stamped to show late 1998 production.IMG_20220817_213121.jpg.c439680d9f94934a56f8e948861c1457.jpg

IMG_20220817_213036.jpg

IMG_20220817_213047.jpg

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

Interesting topic and made me go and look for stored "Top Link" boxes.

P1090394.JPG.7dbb54ffc286a2ad05acc9a24625c55b.JPG

This is R 455,  WR buffet coach.  The 3 figure R number, from your post, would mean it's a Margate model.

P1090395.JPG.0c4ed8e7964e5a2d5a1597d95592f3cf.JPG

But there's nothing moulded underneath to say where it was made.

P1090396.JPG.7ddeb904972a5d141148bae377388e51.JPG

And the box label doesn't say either.   There's a comment in the small print on the back that it "may contain foreign parts."

While it's the old Triang body, the flush windows and much better painting/printing make it look more realistic, and it's actually the easiest running item of rolling stock I've got!

Edited by railroadbill
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, railroadbill said:

Interesting topic and made me go and look for stored "Top Link" boxes.

P1090394.JPG.7dbb54ffc286a2ad05acc9a24625c55b.JPG

This is R 455,  WR buffet coach.  The 3 figure R number, from your post, would mean it's a Margate model.

P1090395.JPG.0c4ed8e7964e5a2d5a1597d95592f3cf.JPG

But there's nothing moulded underneath to say where it was made.

P1090396.JPG.7ddeb904972a5d141148bae377388e51.JPG

And the box label doesn't say either.   There's a comment in the small print on the back that it "may contain foreign parts."

While it's the old Triang body, the flush windows and much better painting/printing make it look more realistic, and it's actually the easiest running item of rolling stock I've got!

Yes, it's a Margate model. The 'flush glazed' re-released ex-Triang Mk1s were initially made in Margate, and then made in China but the brown box ones are all Margate. The printing on the China ones is noticeably finer, particularly the lining on the maroon ones.

Re 4 figure R numbers,, these only apply to new releases after 1997, so anything carried over kept a 3 figure number. In the case of the Mk1s, they kept changing running numbers as it had finally dawned on Hornby that this simple trick meant extra sales to the same people, and so the R numbers got updated. But even today, there are items such as the R460/R464 platforms that have 3 figure numbers, as they have been continuously in the catalogue for decades. Indeed the platform sections have now had around 60 years availability with the same number

Edited by andyman7
  • Like 5

Is it not true that foreign made objects have to have a mark of there origin? Ao theoretically, an item made in say Ausust in the UK need not necessarily carry a mark, but if transferred to a China factory the next month, it would have too?

I seem to remember some items being finally assembled (whatever that might be) in the UK to get around that.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Since the advent and implementation of the "B" word, there is a lot of paperwork to go through to import and export stuff to the UK. If for instance coach sides are made in Margate and the underframes in Formosa, (does it still exist?) then different import rates apply!  Taking it to extremes but won't make the product any cheaper. But with current prices and limited pension, I've had to stop buying new stuff regardless of where it's made.

• Friendly/supportive 2

Model railway production at Margate didn't stop with Hornby though.

CDC models is a small manufacturer, active now, who produces kits for less common items which don't get covered by the mainstream manufacturers. Unlike Hornby, their models are made in Margate.

Here is my CDC LMS 2P 1909 which it was given after renumbering in 1946. The body is a CDC 3D printed & it has been mounted on a short Hornby M7 chassis. Among other things, the small class worked the Harrow-Stanmore branch, so it is spot on for running on my London WCML layout which is where I have photographed it.

LMS 2P 1909 web.jpg

• Like 9

Formosa is now Taiwan, but still a possible cause of WWIII. (Like Ukraine and Russia, China still does not recognise their independence. Seeing what happened to Hong Kong, one cannot really blame them....

Expensive stuff that falls to bits* is not Grifone-friendly!

*Allegedly - I can't speak from experience (apart from Mainline zinc pest - twice!). Lost screws/nuts don't count (Rivarossi/Lima (valve gear) - some spares are available - at a cost!).

China provided a whole box of tiny nuts for the Lima for the price of the spare, The Rivarossi part will need to be manufactured. (The crank pin consists of a special sleeve (lost) around a screw. As everyone except Rivarossi (and Lima)  engineers (accountants?) knows, these things should have LH and RH threads. Better still a splined push fit (e.g. Dublo).

• Like 1

As I've said before, there is no excuse for zinc pest today. I've seen the argument that it's due to cost-cutting in China. Seeing the cost of models today, this doesn't hold water!

My class 31s all came from Margate. They have their faults, but the pest isn't one of them.

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 3