Decoders DCC

As a first step into DCC I'd be rather wary of using secondhand ones, you're buying an unknown quality with little recompense if it's a wonky one. Suggest that for first buys you go for something new in the £20+ range, Zimo for example. Then get used to using and configuring them before you get into the depths of CV twiddling. I assume that you are an OO person.

I've got three NCE starter sets and they've run whatever I've operated with them, that's Zimo, NCE, TCS, Bachmann, the occasional Hornby, Digitrax, to mention a few. All those were the base range of the manufacturers, nothing special.

The NCE will handle sound chips quite happily. Only thing to watch is the current draw, the NCE PowerCab will only go up to 2amp absolute max. Not a problem unless you've got a fleet of some of the Heljans, the earlier ones I've got (Class 33s) can have quite a heavy current draw so need a higher current chip say 1,.5 amp.

I got started into DCC almost accidentally quite a few years ago when a batch of seven locos I got off ebay said to be straight DC turned out to be DCC fitted! A bargain indeed! I purchased an NCE Powercab to try them our properly and have never looked back, Have been used at a number of shows and with three exhibition layouts OO British and HO American.

Please let us know how you get on and don't hesitate to ask questions. Everyone on here has their own favourite DCC system and chips so don't be put off by the sheer number of "You must use X" comments!!!!

Also this would be better asked in the DCC section

All the best

Johnb

Edited by johnb
more info
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

Thanks John.  I am an O gauge man.  All my locos draw less than 2 amp and never had any problems with the NCE powercab and TCS 1 chips  before converting back to DC about 20 years ago.

I'm now thinking I may convert back to DCC. I have been thinking of Zimo and TCS.

I'm on 0 gauge as well Jazz.  I haven't got as many locos as you but I've been installing DCC sound as they arrived so that lessens the blow.  I have the NCE Smart Booster SB5 but I suspect that is overkill.

All but one of my decoders is Zimo from Digitrains.  The odd man out is Loksound from Howes.

I would suggest that you decide which locos are your faves and start with those. 

Caution, if you do sound in one loco you are doomed!

John

Thanks John.  Many years ago on my first venture into DCC all my locos had sound.  I know the pitfalls of just having one loco with sound. So I will be doing that again.  Especially as I have a sizable collection of locos and still growing.  I have do go ahead with the DCC I will probably use Zimo. I did OK last time without the Smart Booster with a couple of locos simmering in the platform and one arriving.  (I would have a similar situation on the current layout)

Ken

Jazz, I'm not necessarily suggesting you get a smart booster.  My original plan was for a quite large horseshoe shaped layout which felt like it would justify the SB.  In the end this got pared back to a traditional BLT.

John