Hornby - Wasteful Amount of Packaging from Online Orders?

RJennings

On 18/08/2022 at 17:25, The Stationmaster said:

The ordering system does seem to be rather odd if it doesn't cater for multiple items on a single order - which no doubt also impacts (adversely) on the postal cost.  but the critical thing is taht the items arrived in good order and undamaged.  

I just received two Arnold grain wagon pre-orders made at exactly the same time but each given an individual identity by Hornby. One item alone and the combined order would have qualified for free postage, but the ordering/billing system cannot recognise this even when both pre-orders are "fulfilled" in one parcel. So, as for the past 5 years, I have had to telephone to request a refund of the postage applied to one item in the combined order. For the first time today, I was told that this would need to be referred to a manager, so I rather fear we have another "sharp practice" in the offing. We'll see.

Out of the kindness of my heart I also let them know that one of the pre-order items, a two wagon set with each item boxed individually, had the items transposed into the wrong boxes. Not a problem for me as I can just swap them over. But many continental retailers split the sets and sell the individual items separately. If all the batch is transposed as is mine, then innocent retailers could find themselves with disgruntled customers receiving the wrong wagon. To the casual observer, the wagons look very similar, but someone specifically ordering the CTC wagon would not want the "Entreprise Marcel Millet" one as a substitute.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, Mike Harvey said:

I just received two Arnold grain wagon pre-orders made at exactly the same time but each given an individual identity by Hornby. One item alone and the combined order would have qualified for free postage, but the ordering/billing system cannot recognise this even when both pre-orders are "fulfilled" in one parcel. So, as for the past 5 years, I have had to telephone to request a refund of the postage applied to one item in the combined order. For the first time today, I was told that this would need to be referred to a manager, so I rather fear we have another "sharp practice" in the offing. We'll see.

Out of the kindness of my heart I also let them know that one of the pre-order items, a two wagon set with each item boxed individually, had the items transposed into the wrong boxes. Not a problem for me as I can just swap them over. But many continental retailers split the sets and sell the individual items separately. If all the batch is transposed as is mine, then innocent retailers could find themselves with disgruntled customers receiving the wrong wagon. To the casual observer, the wagons look very similar, but someone specifically ordering the CTC wagon would not want the "Entreprise Marcel Millet" one as a substitute.

Oh dear - the dreaded 'I'll have to refer this to a manager' syndrome.  Yet again it suggests to me that Hornby have not got proper procedures in place for dealing with various aspects of its everyday business.  Any manager worth their salt would immediately put in place a simple written procedure or instruction to deal with this type of thing.  This would stop their time being wasted on minor matters when they ought to be managing important issues. (such as getting the ordering and despatch system into proper sync to avoid the need for the question).

If  mail order/online selling retailers, and other 'manufacturers' - all concerns far smaller than Hornby - can proprerly manage multiple item orders why can't Hornby, especially after all the money they have recently spent updating IT?

• Agree 4

On 19/08/2022 at 17:27, D9020 Nimbus said:

The ones that annoy me are the eBay sellers who cover the whole box with parcel tape making it next to impossible to recycle. And also making it difficult to know how one can safely open the box concerned…

Did it arrive with the contents intact? As an ebay seller myself thats important, you will hardly be impressed if it arrives damaged or worse....

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Oh, they all arrived intact; the only damaged item I've received from an eBay seller was a Union Mills B12 with the coupling broken off the front bogie. But this had happened before the model was sent, as it wasn't in the box… (I was refunded.)

But I don't see how completely covering the outside of the box with parcel tape helps to keep the contents safe"…

12 minutes ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

Oh, they all arrived intact; the only damaged item I've received from an eBay seller was a Union Mills B12 with the coupling broken off the front bogie. But this had happened before the model was sent, as it wasn't in the box… (I was refunded.)

But I don't see how completely covering the outside of the box with parcel tape helps to keep the contents safe"…

Depending on the box used, it strengthens the cardboard, all depends on delivery methods and how well secured the items are inside too. Loads to be said for bubble wrap and shredded paper, bit of cardboard etc

• Agree 2

15 hours ago, Bucoops said:

Having had parcels left in puddles, I don't mind them being covered in tape.

Last week I was travelling abroad. I received a notification of my small parcel from Hornby being delivered with a photo of where it had been left. The courier had not left it in the “safe place” which is weatherproof, but in a spot which could have been subject to minor flooding in the event of a heavy rainstorm. A call to my neighbour was enough to get it into a dry place. For once the delivery photo served a purpose for me, rather just being a picture of my shoes and the parcel at my open front door.

• Friendly/supportive 2

On 22/08/2022 at 12:02, Mike Harvey said:

I am pleased to be able to confirm that Hornby have refunded the overpaid postage, and issued an alert to Arnold dealers on the continent about models possibly transposed between boxes. There is a notice posted on their Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/645450062149620/posts/pfbid0WQs9aGp2BRZdmc9PnWmMGgUYa2pYZpJtyzrazwhS6C3ab8YE47RHamDd45vSckngl/

Edited by Mike Harvey
Added link to packaging error notice
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

You are lucky with packaging, I ordered this online, was delivered with no packing or protection, I was hoping for a lifetimes supply of bubble wrap and a box to store my old vehicle in!

IMG_0590.JPG

Edited by fulton
correction
  • Funny 6

On 23/08/2022 at 15:37, D9020 Nimbus said:

The tape helps ensure the box doesn't split or a crumpled corner release the contents.  It also adds waterproofing. It's pennies to do this. 

As for recycling, we don't.  We just reuse the box. 

Edited by Ouroborus
  • Like 1