Hornby Gresley full brake weathering and detail

A recent purchase, inspired by an image from John Turner's Flickr site. A base wash of acrylic black/brown mix for the frame and body witha wash of dirty grey for the roof. Then powders and a spray of Dulcote. Chalk makings are from Raitec and a liqiud chalk on a cocktail stick.

Gresley Full Brake pic2.jpg

Gresley Full Brake pic1.jpg

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 months later...
On 18/08/2022 at 22:34, w124bob said:

A recent purchase, inspired by an image from John Turner's Flickr site. A base wash of acrylic black/brown mix for the frame and body witha wash of dirty grey for the roof. Then powders and a spray of Dulcote. Chalk makings are from Raitec and a liqiud chalk on a cocktail stick.

Gresley Full Brake pic2.jpg

Gresley Full Brake pic1.jpg

Thanks for posting this. It's excellent. Care to share how you achieved it?

Thanks 

20 hours ago, davidw said:

Thanks for posting this. It's excellent. Care to share how you achieved it?

Thanks 

The vehicle was first given an all over wash of a dirty black/brown acrylic mix, just brushed on. Some of of this was then wiped away using a damp cotton bud. However on a heavily weathered vehicle like this its done very sparingly, only really around the door areas as bags and people go in and out. I have just three MiG powders, black, a pale  dust shade and red oxide, I also occasionally use artists charcoals mainly white now. Some of the faded panels were done by working in a tiny bit of red oxide and white on an old brush. I do all my powder weathering with the model over a shallow plastic box and it's this mix off the bottom of the box which gets used most. Most of the chalk instruction marks came from a Railtec sheet, but a couple were done with liquid chalk picked up on a cocktail stick. Once I was happy the whole thing was given a coat of Dulcote matt varnish, this as it drys makes some the subtle powered effect disappear. So when it's just touch dry(about an hour) touch up any lost powder detail, there's no need for a second coat of varnish the fresh powder will stay on as the varnish drys completely. I dont use an airbrush and the only two acrylic colours used on most of my stock is the Humbrol 62 leather equivalent and black. See the Dewsbury Midland postings over in Modellers Musings and Misc(blatant Plug!)  

• Thanks 1