Sound in N Gauge can be good!!!

charliepetty

People keep asking us about N Gauge sounds, and why their models sound is really quiet. Now the answer is 'Air tight' speakers, but as we all know N gauge is a bit small, how can you fit better speakers.   Here we have some pictures of recent work we have done:

Class 55 N Gauge Twin Speakers.jpg

Class 37 N Gauge.jpg

Class 25 N Gauge.jpg

Edited by charliepetty
  • Like 4

If anyone want to see & hear our N Gauge Sounds, then see us at the N Gauge Show in 2 weeks time, as we have our Demo stand available for you to listen to what can be acheived in N Gauge.

A range of sound fitted models are available too!!

See:  https://www.meridienneexhibitions.co.uk/events/the-international-n-gauge-show

Legoman Stand.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry but the sound is still way too thin and tinny to be anything like a real loco. Yes it might replicate the sounds accurately but the physical size of N or 00 locos means that even the very best set ups don't come close to being convincing for my ears.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Chris M said:

Sorry but the sound is still way too thin and tinny to be anything like a real loco. Yes it might replicate the sounds accurately but the physical size of N or 00 locos means that even the very best set ups don't come close to being convincing for my ears.

Closer than the sound of a small 12v electric motor and a plastic gear-chain, though...

It ain't perfect but it's a step closer (and getting better all the time).

P.S. One thing to bear in mind is that it seems to be quite difficult to reproduce the sound of a model on video. In my experience they always sound better in real life.

Edited by Harlequin
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 07/09/2022 at 09:48, Harlequin said:

Closer than the sound of a small 12v electric motor and a plastic gear-chain, though...

It ain't perfect but it's a step closer (and getting better all the time).

P.S. One thing to bear in mind is that it seems to be quite difficult to reproduce the sound of a model on video. In my experience they always sound better in real life.

This is why we take the demo layout to shows, as the sounds on youtube etc are only as good as the speakers in the camera and on your PC.

Take a look at our stand at model shows, you might then be a little more positive.   Charlie

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, charliepetty said:

This is why we take the demo layout to shows, as the sounds on youtube etc are only as good as the speakers in the camera and on your PC.

Take a look at our stand at model shows, you might then be a little more positive.   Charlie

I took a look at your stand at TINGS but the stand was unmanned and there was just an unimpressive DMU going round and round and round. I admit I didn’t stay there long.

Sorry you missed us, we had Simon on the Front driving & Charlie round the back doing programming and orders, so sorry we missed you.

Simon was also the Tea Lad (A promotion) so I assume he had either nipped off for this or the toilet called.

We had on display over 20 locomotives, DMU's, EMU's & HST's + and lonely Farish Castle.

Sadly our Class C 'Melted' on Saturday and I totally forgot to bring the Farish Blue Pullman and 8F !!!!!!!!

You should have popped back ??

Simon & Charlie

Legoman goes fishing.JPG

Edited by charliepetty

On 15/09/2022 at 13:32, Steven B said:

Mmmm, I'm temped to add sound to one of my class 142 but "silk purse" and "sows ear" spring to mind with the Dapol model!

@charliepetty have you got any photos of the speakers fitted to the 142?

Steven B.

The speaker is the sugar cube that comes with the decoder using the lid of the plastic housing kit only, due to lack of space, a second 'could' be fitted in the rear car but two wires would have to jump across from the powered car.

Charlie

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Thanks to Charlie's prompt service I fitted a sound decoder to my Dapol 142. Some thoughts:

Charlie must have a huge collection of stamps to use up before the end of the year, I've never seen so many "and a half" pence stamps.

The sound project is great, although the LokSound decoder was defaulted to reverse running. The matched decoder for the dummy half (Dapol Imperium) didn't appear to be programmed - not a major issue, but I needed to update JMRI's decoder definitions. Dapol also complicate things by using the green and purple function outputs which need remapping to match the directional functionality usually provided by white & yellow F0r and F0f.

The PCB Dapol use for the decoder socket is a poor layout design. Unless you're very careful it's easy to cross thread the screws into the plastic chassis meaning the thread gets striped, meaning you end up having to find another way of holding the PCB in place. Why did I need to remove it several times, firstly the solder pads needed for the speaker are marked, but they're on the bottom of the PCB meaning it needs to be removed. Secondly, even being extra careful it's very easy to damage the track feed or motor feed wires - I needed to resolder a motor feed after it came loose.

The only grumble I have with the sound project is the station announcements are current day and from the north east. I can just about justify a train to Workington on with my GMPTE orange unit, but would have preferred the choice of Manchester, Oldham, Rochdale or Blackpool. That said, I'm not sure there were any station announcements in the late 1980s...

Steven B.

On 03/11/2022 at 12:56, Steven B said:

Thanks to Charlie's prompt service I fitted a sound decoder to my Dapol 142. Some thoughts:

Charlie must have a huge collection of stamps to use up before the end of the year, I've never seen so many "and a half" pence stamps.

The sound project is great, although the LokSound decoder was defaulted to reverse running. The matched decoder for the dummy half (Dapol Imperium) didn't appear to be programmed - not a major issue, but I needed to update JMRI's decoder definitions. Dapol also complicate things by using the green and purple function outputs which need remapping to match the directional functionality usually provided by white & yellow F0r and F0f.

The PCB Dapol use for the decoder socket is a poor layout design. Unless you're very careful it's easy to cross thread the screws into the plastic chassis meaning the thread gets striped, meaning you end up having to find another way of holding the PCB in place. Why did I need to remove it several times, firstly the solder pads needed for the speaker are marked, but they're on the bottom of the PCB meaning it needs to be removed. Secondly, even being extra careful it's very easy to damage the track feed or motor feed wires - I needed to resolder a motor feed after it came loose.

The only grumble I have with the sound project is the station announcements are current day and from the north east. I can just about justify a train to Workington on with my GMPTE orange unit, but would have preferred the choice of Manchester, Oldham, Rochdale or Blackpool. That said, I'm not sure there were any station announcements in the late 1980s...

Steven B.

We a range of announments including:

North East / Teeside

Lancashire / Yorkshire

Devon / Cornwall

South Wales.

All to suit Class 142s

Charlie

142 Front-Side IMG_3091.jpg