model paint

• RMweb Premium

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Railways Forever said:

I am looking for the shade of blue that Phoenix paints produce P102 which I would buy from them but they cannot export it to Canada. I would try mixing it using Tamiya paint or Humbrol paint if I can get it. Does any one know what paints would make this colour?

Thanks

If you can find the RAL reference might you be able to get some mixed in Canada, in a similar fashion to Halfords and other paint distributors over here?

Mike.

There were several variations in the blue, but it was quickly (1952 IIRC) changed to green due to fading.

It was definitely not the same as the later 'diesel' blues.

A contemporary model is here:

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/model-railway-00-gauge-graham-farish-245245782

and a modern representation is here:

https://didcotrailwaycentre.org.uk/article.php/420/going-loco-august-2020

The blue livery was only for class 7P (later revised to 8P) locomotives and not applied to Castles.

• RMweb Gold

The Weathering and painting thread has a list of car spray paints to match various loco colours. Not sure how accurate it is but they list a Peugeot Royal Blue colour for BR Steam Loco Blue  if thats what you are looking for.

Edited by ianLMS

• RMweb Premium

The RAF Kinloss MRC paint list comes from the days when people were less picky about "spectum accuraccy".....

I did the update of the old list ten years ago.    Time has passed and manufacturers of motor vehicles have changed their car colours.

Halfords will stock based on need and demand:  as cars go off the road due to scrapping, lack of demand for cetain colours will see them comng off Halford's  shelves.  If I remember rightly there were a couple of  Daewoo colours on the list - a cream and a plum - Daewoo was consigned to motoring history so quickly that most people will struggle to remember it.

Some colours will always stay available - British Racing Green is one.   However its a good match for British sports cars, but not for BR Green or GW green as the list suggests.

• Informative/Useful 1

On 28/08/2022 at 08:33, Enterprisingwestern said:

If you can find the RAL reference might you be able to get some mixed in Canada, in a similar fashion to Halfords and other paint distributors over here?

Mike.

That is sometimes easier said than done.

I have a few paint colour charts. I can get RAL codes for some Revell & Humbrol colours, but not Phoenix ones.