Pop Up Designs

lazythread

• RMweb Premium

Pop Up Designs are definitely still active - they had a significant stand at Model Rail Scotland over the weekend of 23-25 February, with an impressive display of their models.

The canopy work around some of their railway stations is amazing - very fine and detailed indeed, but also remarkably strong. I was impressed by the Scottish tenement block (shown above on 30 October), in raw assembled form, and in fully finished form. With the latter, looking up at ground level, it was hard to believe it was a model. Stunning!  Unfortunately I didn’t take any photographs.

it was a pleasure to meet the man behind Pop Up Designs, and Ian Ross, who designs the railway kits - and does it on a voluntary basis. 

John Storey

• RMweb Premium

Looking through the thread above, I should add that Pop Up Designs have a lot more railway buildings than are shown on the previous page. Small and large Highland stations, the distillery shown in the previous page, even Fort William station with its unique structure and shape.

On the distillery, if you are modelling the pagoda roof, how on earth do you work out all the angles to get the roof sections right?  Pop Up Designs has worked it for you!

I say all this, but don’t have space on my railway for any of their kits - alas! But I was impressed by what I saw at Model Rail Scotland a couple of weeks ago.

John S