Jamieson Streamlined LMS Duchess

ianLMS

• RMweb Gold

I am currently attempting to build a streamlined duchess, "City of Lancaster", but have hit a snag. Several parts were missing which were no issue as i could scratch build them (cab roof, cylinder cover plates, etc). However, the buffer shrouds are also missing and i am looking at different methods of making them as no-one that i am aware of makes them seperately. I have a body from a Hornby model so have something to use as a guide. 

Question. Should i try and shape the shroud using brass and roll a cone type shape, or take a mold of the Hornby one and cast it in resin or melted white metal? If casting is recommended, anyone have any advice?

20200911_162459.jpg

DJH make a kit - I wonder if they would consider selling you a set of buffers? I have approached other manufacturers before about this kind of thing and they have always been helpful.

You have taken on quite a challenge - I would love to see some photo's of the kit!

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, ianLMS said:

My drawing skills are very limited, so reaching out to DJH might be the best option. 

My understanding is that DJH have a policy of not supplying parts, except to kit purchasers as replacements for faulty / damaged components.

CJI

• Thanks 1

On 24/08/2022 at 18:47, ianLMS said:

Another thought is that there is a good chance that the main body would have the buffers as part of the casting with just the buffer heads seperate.

They are castings enclosed in sheet metal casings.

Nick

• RMweb Gold

Buffers arrived safe and sound yesterday and look great. Quick test fit this morning before work and with very slight fettling they should work perfectly.

Really appreciate you helping me out there Nick!!!

Pics of the build so far to follow. I have had to do a fair bit of fettling and quite a bit of scratch-building, modifying spare parts etc as i go but really enjoying the challenge.

Ian

Edited by ianLMS
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Progress so far. New buffers loosely fitted until heads arrive in case i need to drill them out. Excellent fit and thank you once again Nick!

Double chimney is made from a resin mould kit after fabricating a template from a white metal non-streamlined duchess one from Wizard and some plasticard as no-one sells one for a streamlined model and i didnt want to carve up the Hornby body.

Body sits on a Hornby DCC ready chassis with a Comet trailing truck. Just waiting for the correct front bogie to arrive from Wizard. 

Main mistake so far but one i can live with is the height of the cab floor compared to the tender. Its about 3mm too high but its due to the fixing height where it mounts on the chassis. 

Lots of fettling on the tender and made a bulkhead from an old etch i had. Now casting resin parts for the brake and water scoop columns.

Still loads to do and lots more fun to be had.

As with all my models i build, i do the best i can. I am no pro and certainly not in the same league as many on here but i am having fun, learning every time i build something and am happy with what i achieve.

20220831_213741.jpg

20220831_213717.jpg

20220831_213707.jpg

Edited by ianLMS
  • Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

• RMweb Gold

Luckily, most of the body parts were pre-cut and formed and it was just a matter of soldering the bits together. The main body would have been impossible for me to shape. The skirts are in 2 pieces and have the cab sides included. The windows and buffer holes were pre cut. The cab roof was missing to had to make that from sheet brass. The tender sides were preformed but the front and back vertical plates needed trimming. I had to make the front bulk head from an old etch and cut out the water filler access hatches as well as the rear strengthening plates.  I mounted the tender body on a Comet tender chassis and frame which made the job a lot easier. All fittings had to be drilled and positioned but i have the LMS Locomotive Profiles book for the Duchesses so that helped a lot with measurements and placing etc.

I am now forming the streamlining skirts for the tender from sheet brass and have a few detailing bits made from resin currently setting in their moulds. 

Edited by ianLMS
  • Like 6
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Its taken a little while but i have now painted, lined and numbered the Duchess. Windows added using microscope slide cover (fixed with Deluxe glue n glaze....excess to be cleaned off). All thats left now is coal and crew and she can stretch her levs on the layout!!

Gloss varnish was Alclad II Aqua Gloss. 

Transfers didnt quite go on level both sides but i am ok with it. 

Overall, although there are a few issues with the model, i am happy with how it turned out.

Ian

20220926_070129.jpg

• Like 13
  • Agree 1

• 1 month later...

You’ve made a really lovely job of that by the looks of it, and from not the easiest of beginnings I guess.

LNER4479 and I were wondering the other day about backdating Camden Shed for a running weekend sometime (well into the future when it’s closer to being finished!). Seeing 6243 looking like that makes it a more attractive idea still.

Iain

• Like 2