Metcalfe modelling - miscellaneous memories

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, BR60103 said:

I've wondered about carving/sanding a 45 degree angle inside the wall ends so that they fit together.

I often do that for plasticard and did try the technique on some card kits. The problem I found was getting a constant angle on the cut was difficult and often led to an uneven cut on the printed side. Though maybe I gave up too early? Practice might lead to better results.  

Thinking about it, if you were building one of the 'print your own', or any kits involving a thin printed outer glued to a thicker former, if you left a small overlap of the outer (or cut away some of the inner) then that would reduce the size of the gap at the edge. Though if you were going to build one of those kit types, you might well be 'wrapping' an outer skin of several walls round the former anyway, so wouldn't have the problem. 

I can't remember what kit or diorama it was now but I did once use a similar technique to achieve a snug fit. Rather than cutting at an angle (45 degrees or otherwise) I scored a line very close to the edge (maybe a millimetre or so?) and then gently removed most of the thickness of the card, leaving a thin layer of the outer printed surface. I remember it working but being a very delicate operation and tough on the nerves, as if it had gone wrong I'd have had to rebuild the whole kit. 

• Like 2

Yes, the beveling technique is common on scratch built or Craftsman plastic buildings.  If one were to try that for a Metcalfe kit, I fear the result would be uneven and would likely throw the geometry off making each wall slightly shorter that intended.

Downloaded kits like Scalescenes are cleverly designed to mitigate the exposed corners by wrapping with printed brick paper.  This still leaves a line, and is not perfect.  However, if you are on the ball you can contrive to add a downspout to mask the line.  It pays to make the effort to align the courses.

I wonder if one could recut the walls of a Metcalfe kit to be a bit longer and use brick paper to wrap them a la Scalescenes.  (ISTR Metcalfe offer brick papers).  Something I haven't tried and, being in 0 gauge now, I probably won't do this.  It would make an interesting project I think.

John

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Yes, they do various materials packs (https://www.metcalfemodels.com/product-category/building-materials/) but one problem may be that they are more brickcards than brickpapers - for example the red brick pack has two thicknesses of card and the thinner is still noticeably thicker than paper. Normally I like the extra thickness, it's been useful (especially with the retaining walls experiment) but for wrapping purposes - not so good. 

My modelling is on hold at the moment while I try and reclaim my life but it's the sort of thing I used to like doing, playing around with ideas to try and find better ways of doing things. The successes often got a magazine article as well as samples for the shop or factory or Peco's exhibition stand. I admit I did get free kits, which helps but I think I repaid that with interest in terms of the inspiration and customer support offered. Sometimes it was just good publicity for them, other times I did find new opportunities for them and/or their customers. 

Sorry - no photos today, some medical matters have meant I've not had any free time this afternoon. Fingers crossed for tomorrow. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

A shame that there are only card sheets.  However, you can download quite a lot of different brick, stone etc from Scalescenes.  If one were to do that, the whole model would need to be refaced.  Also, some planning would be needed to reinstate window and door details.  One suggestion would be to scan the walls, cut out and glue (Pritt glue sticks are ideal)  the details onto the new walls.

A lot of work to hide exposed corners but it might lift the model to a higher level.

John

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, Damo666 said:

How about something like this?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NT-Cutter-degree-bevel-MAT-45P/dp/B005J0XLO8

And how to use a similar one, (as long as you don't let the straight-edge slip).

That's certainly better than trying to do it freehand. I might try that if any suitable project comes up, thanks. 

19 hours ago, brossard said:

A shame that there are only card sheets.  However, you can download quite a lot of different brick, stone etc from Scalescenes.  If one were to do that, the whole model would need to be refaced.  Also, some planning would be needed to reinstate window and door details.  One suggestion would be to scan the walls, cut out and glue (Pritt glue sticks are ideal)  the details onto the new walls.

A lot of work to hide exposed corners but it might lift the model to a higher level.

John

Several posters have said they like Metcalfe's style and sense of proportion, so if Scalescenes or anyone else's artwork takes your fancy, it could be worth it. I've heard of people doing it, though can't recall seeing any results. Maybe there are some on some of the quieter sub-forums on here? I'll have a look later. 

• RMweb Premium

One of the photos which surfaced a few hours after I posted about the thatched cottage was of the other half of the coaching inn. This was the first half I tried and wasn't keen on the result. (Hence the other half). I used the Noch Wildgras (straw) 10-12mm long static grass, handlaid on the card roof in a miniature version of the real thing. (Well, very crudely!). I doubt Roye England would have approved, either of the model or of the building's style. But I don't expect to get it right every time and if we don't try these ideas out, we'd never know. 

544233819_Thatchedhouse-RE.JPG.b0367f8b3077b1f8a04a3646ab6bddb5.JPG

The brick-built extension is the coaching inn's stables, 'recycled'. As this was just an experiment for the thatching technique/materials, I didn't put anything in the way of interiors or curtains in, so it looks a bit bare in some of the larger rooms.

I thought about using several different materials for thatch - this is a comparison view, with the model above using the 07101 Wildgras and the earlier post using the out of the packet 'rough grass' along the bottom.  

IMG_0841.JPG.343e47d800279d9cfb6e6c5116b5ebde.JPG

Next time, back to the bigger dioramas. 

• Like 2

Another idea I had, many years ago now, was to reproduce Metcalfe buildings in plastic using scratchbuild techniques.

Here's an example:

1485973632_Houses006.jpg.287d2d9d4fac1eb7a44927dd71b93f06.jpg

Original terraced houses.

374543236_Houses002.jpg.32633b19d39c39fc191def58e0809e88.jpg

My attempt at the rebuild.

The thought process was that I can build card kits fairly quickly and populate the layout to get started.  Later, I can redo these in plastic for a better result.

John

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, brossard said:

Another idea I had, many years ago now, was to reproduce Metcalfe buildings in plastic using scratchbuild techniques.

Here's an example:

1485973632_Houses006.jpg.287d2d9d4fac1eb7a44927dd71b93f06.jpg

Original terraced houses.

374543236_Houses002.jpg.32633b19d39c39fc191def58e0809e88.jpg

My attempt at the rebuild.

The thought process was that I can build card kits fairly quickly and populate the layout to get started.  Later, I can redo these in plastic for a better result.

John

They look fine to me. One thing I have noticed with the Metcalfe kits, especially the red brick ones, is that in some lights they are a bit colourful. (Of course you can tone the colours down by misting some grey paint over them but I think you either need an airbrush or a strong nerve and confidence in your aerosols). 'Scale colour' is probably worth a thread to itself but your more muted colours look more realistic. The open windows add some life too, on both sets. 

On time, yes, I guesstimate it takes around ten times longer to scratchbuild in plastic than a card kit equivalent. I'll happily spend 100 hours or more on a building - but I'd sooner spend the time there than on building, say, a loco. Personal preference, other opinions are available... 

• RMweb Premium

I claim that the card kits have already done the hard bit for me. (the colouring).

Doing something like that on my own will not look as good or be satisfying.

• Agree 1

55 minutes ago, BR60103 said:

I claim that the card kits have already done the hard bit for me. (the colouring).

My feeling exactly.  That is why I build downloadable, printable kits for my O gauge layout, despite the lack of texture.  I also build Lcut kits that are faced with Scalescenes brickpaper.

John

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

My apologies for the delay in responding - I'm afraid there have been some problems for me to deal with this week which have kept me busier than I bargained for. 

On 07/09/2022 at 02:41, BR60103 said:

One of the things I've become aware of when scratchbuilding is just how much painting is involved. It sometimes feels like I was conned about the nature of this hobby - it's not model railways, it's painting small objects... several times! 

Yes, we may grumble a bit about the colours but I whole-heartedly agree, pre-coloured paper/card does save a huge amount of effort. Selecting appropriate colours is not always easy. It can be satisfying when you get it right - but horribly disheartening when things don't work out well. It's one reason I always mention what paints I've used in articles, so readers can see what they can look like and decide whether or not to use them for themselves. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Back to the models. So far, all the dioramas I've shown have been OO - I didn't consciously discriminate but the OO market was significantly bigger than those for other scales combined. Metcalfe did try some 7mm scale kits but they were never very successful and the range was dropped. Many of the N Gauge kits came after the OO ones, and as some of my modelling was designed to advertise new kits, it made sense for me to build the OO new kits to advertise them, with a footnote saying 'the N Gauge equivalents are coming soon'. And I had become accustomed to working in 4mm scale. 

Which is a long winded way of saying today's pictures are of an N Gauge diorama and so far, the only 2mm scale diorama I've built of the Metcalfe kits. We did discuss building it in OO but the problem was the space required. And I wasn't averse to trying some of their N Gauge kits anyway as a change, so ... on the proverbial kitchen table ... "Greystones Central":

IMG_4814.JPG.95136ca5a1e21df66c1d4f8e4a962519.JPG

Their main station kits build up to a very substantial station. This diorama shows the PN920, PN221 and PN922 buildings, with PN135 platforms and some N gauge paving and cobbles, together with some tarmac sheets. (Since I built this diorama, the kits have been updated and appear slightly different to those pictured). What scenery there was was simple, Peco track and Woodland Scenics grey fine ballast. 

It was designed so we could add bits and new kits later. At the time of building, the footbridge kit was not released but was anticipated. The retaining walls likewise. The engine shed, goods shed and signal box were all seen as likely additions, so space was left for these potentially to be added later. I left these areas blank (white) in the best cartographical traditions. 

As you can see, there was a lot of repetition and some kits were built in multiples to provide an extensive and impressive main line station. This diorama never appeared in print - as you can see the photos I have were more snaps than anything a magazine would want to publish and I did not have the opportunity to take better frames. 

I borrowed some Oxford vehicles from stock to add some life to the scene, though the lamp-posts, benches and Preiser figures did not arrive in time for these snaps: 

IMG_4815_E.jpg.bfd1b8b4e4be72f4713fdfba6ffb9d4d.jpg

On the other hand, a certain little blue tank engine and stock could be borrowed from my own collection...

1610543804_MCTTEE.jpg.791c937816fbcfcfcf2e4f8a4b367197.jpg

The goods train is actually without an engine - I dabbled in N gauge but after deciding to stay with 4mm scale, I sold much of the stock, keeping only a few items. 'Thomas' (a hand painted conversion) was the only engine I had left. And no, he doesn't have a face... 

IMG_4811_E.jpg.7b7ca601f90d808ac4191f8c1d127d10.jpg

IMG_4810_E.jpg.bf7e9ba2ac9811b62ec224f8c553ad23.jpg

IMG_4812_E.jpg

• Like 5

Interesting that Metcalfe tried 7mm models, did not know that.  I expect that mail order for such things would be pretty expensive given the weight and size.  I got a shock once, when ordering card kits and found out the postage.  😮

John

• RMweb Premium

Yes, mainly the terraced houses IIRC. Their mail order fee for them would probably have been their standard P&P rate but I remember them as being substantial A4 packs, so they would weigh/cost a bit if you tracked any down second-hand in the UK. I don't think I've sent anything to Quebec but I did mail various items to other parts of NA, from Texas to BC, the postage wasn't cheap. 

• RMweb Premium

Back to OO. Today's diorama would probably upset Nicholas (Parsons, not Metcalfe) involving as it does plenty of repetition. Without any hesitation or deviation I have to say, I'm sorry I haven't a clue how to introduce the subject other than to say ... Mornington Crescent! 

877138471_MCoverall.jpg.3a14e9bc63ef69a99f409564ea585097.jpg

The kit was a new one and a suburban scene was wanted to show it off. The scene's mounted on 10mm thick foamboard so it would be light enough to be presented on publicity stands. From memory, I think it was 4' x 1'. As well as the kits, the paving and tarmac materials sheets were used for ground cover. It's not apparent from the photos but the pavements and kerbs are dipped by the driveway entrances. The garden walls and gateway pillars were mostly made from offcuts, though the longer pieces were cut from the red brick paper sheets, usually with a strip of grey card sandwiched in the middle, partly for strength and partly to add depth. 

Accessories and figures were my 'usual' mix of Langley, Preiser and Ratio/Wills, with a few from my own range. GreenScene and Woodland provided the 'green' scenery. The groundcover flowers are mixes from GreenScene flower fourpacks, mixed to represent groundcover flowers such as geraniums, lobelia, alyssum and campanula. Langley whitemetal flowertubs and urns were purchased and painted. Vehicles (see later photos) are from Oxford and Classix. 

To avoid too much repetition, all sorts of variations were introduced, including the obvious ones of leaving some doors and windows open. Some of the eight properties have a more distinctive appearance than others, due to their supposed owners' personalities. Whether we're talking window frames, curtains or garden flowers. Again, because this was something of a 'set' for Metcalfes to use to advertise their kits and other products, some parts were made removable. I did move some of the 'props' around a lot myself when taking these snaps, so readers may well notice some inconsistencies. 

The scene is set on a curve as this seemed more natural than a straight line. I was probably subconsciously influenced by Iain Rice's published thoughts on layout design. And after deciding on this style, the name leapt to mind - yes, it is an indulgence - I admit to being a fan of this fascinating game!

206648991_L-Rlow.jpg.324b3eb01801c3c9fcd772dc068e2986.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

A4431.JPG.d8d498cfc044f86e2b8061a7cc13fe0f.JPG

N655.JPG.f30d9d511abdb96a916663e2e3fbedc2.JPG

The houses were sub-divided into crudely shaped rooms to avoid too many 'through views'. 

The back gardens were 'quick impressions'. The diorama was designed to be viewed from any angle but would normally be shown from the front. Judging from the quantity of chairs outside, the weather has probably been better than average. Several (Preiser) cats and dogs are taking advantage of the sun and may ... allegedly ... be responsible for some of the askew dustbin lids. 

N657.JPG.32bced14877f4769e03e507c00a8472a.JPG

Mrs Fortescue had been gardening but went to answer her telephone, leaving the front door left ajar. Her dog is investigating some interesting smells. The dove on the roof is unconcerned.   

A4443.JPG.22e1eaee8ea220a0778990a83a212d0d.JPG

A couple of doors down, it could be a different story. So far, 'Ben' is fixated on the fascinating smells wafting out of the kitchen door. However, the cat could be about to be very concerned... and it's heart rate has probably just gone up a bit. 

A4444_ER.jpg.68d74a116f06d740bd4a8249fe2391e7.jpg

'Ben' is one of the Preiser figures in their cats and dogs multipack. He is the spitting image of our neighbour's dog who also used to sit in that position outside the back door when she was cooking - this cameo almost created itself. 

A4448_ER.jpg.764d1208f3f33f769b692f66d4d75b36.jpg

A4451_ER.jpg.72c70a26c2758799310a7f01fdc19df2.jpg

Two different approaches to gardens and decoration: 

N651_R.jpg.6c2d9c9684ee20682418fddb7c0cf553.jpg

I left the 'flashing' off this pair of houses - not an 'oopsie' from me (this time!) but deliberately, to provide a contrast between those with and without and to be a potential talking point about how a few simple refinements could improve the kits. 

A4441_ER.jpg.c060502fcb1cfb325d62b885ba866ad5.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Back to the country today. A few years ago, I wrote a short series of articles for the Railway Modeller about how to fill corners and how they need not be dead space. Two included Metcalfe kits, so I'll post a few snaps here. (See the blog-page for some of the non-Metcalfe work). 

The first 'corner' was of a smallholding, based around the Metcalfe farm cottage (part of the Manor Farm kit). It's perhaps a little idealised but that's modelling. 'Beckfoot':

1677622921_Overall-highangle-bright.jpg.10e56473f8425ff70f48841a9126469e.jpg

372235981_Reverseangleview-high1.jpg.4e0a4da4c171c9fb7025a9aa4fa14c07.jpg

The dioramas were built on 10mm thick 'foamboard', which makes a light and strong baseboard, though it can distort with some paints and plasters. A piece is visible under the track and foam ballast inlay. The articles were aimed at beginners and ran under the 'model railways explored' section, so I couldn't aim for 'Pendon' standards. 

Wills plastic kits provided the outbuildings and the greenhouse; the henhut is from the Metcalfe farm building pack. Scenics are a mixture of Busch, Elmet Images, GreenScene, Heki and Noch. Figures are mostly Preiser and Noch, though the dog is a repainted ModelScene species. 

513424121_GH1.jpg.25130e0820610758f5f6123fe110681f.jpg

The cauliflowers and cabbages came from Busch kits, the pots are from Busch and Noch. Flower scatter is from Flower Soft, GreenScene and Heki. The runner bean stands are from my own range, made on an assembly line from plastic rodding, sewing thread and appropriate paint and scatters. 

1352907875_Goatescape1.JPG.c463e0627a1fefde0247b2e1503c5d1f.JPG

1624362064_Stream2.JPG.2d62c48579d12b0301ed52fc0a0e7b2c.JPG

To add 'life' to the diorama, several cameos were incorporated, this one showing the 'Goat Escape' of three goats, who are making a bee-line for the tomato plants in the greenhouse. The lady of the house is taking a break from her chores and too busy waving at the engine driver (or is it the guard?) of the passing train to notice. Doubtless her other half (currently stacking firewood in an outbuilding) will have something to say when this is discovered.

1168898578_Sculleryexit.JPG.cc3db780ccba4e9ce7f08b8a53fa9f55.JPG

On the other side of the cottage, the cat, having been disturbed from it's well-earned sleep by the engine driver's over-exuberant use of the whistle, wanders out into the sunlit back yard. Two wood pigeons tense, wondering whether to fly off from their branch.

1078231537_RMWLane.jpg.734bd324b96763a1546bbd8c5a2ca420.jpg

The lane is awash with flowers and insects in the early summer sunlight. Neither pay any attention to the noise of the train.

305024225_TwogrottiesR.jpg.372758234f5d410bf4b2afe7355e378f.jpg

The dog watches the firewood stacking with interest, taking care to stay in the shade cast by the Landrover. It's used to the train and the last time the master stacked the firewood, he disturbed a mouse, so there might be the chance of a chase.

1199892473_Reverseangleview-low.jpg.38d44045f5445ea2e27aab3db3c17ea0.jpg

The mixed freight trundles past. Once the goats have been evicted from the greenhouse, accompanied with suitable threats and bad language, the rural tranquility returns...

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

The second corner diorama was rather different to the first. As with 'Greystones Central', this one had quite a lot of repetition, though introducing some variations in the houses did help keep this from being a problem. Some doors and windows were modelled open or ajar, the curtains supplied in the kits provided some variety and I also used some parts from my own range to help this along. As well as the Metcalfe kits, I used some Busch card sheets of weathered timber and Wills plastic kits for fencing and huts in the allotment/back gardens. Much of the scenery came from GreenScene and Elmet Images ranges, with figures from Preiser. 

The retaining walls were built using the methods described earlier, cladding a raised platform of foamboard and polystyrene. Two bridges were built as half arches, partly to show the construction method and partly to avoid damage which would result from having a full arch unsupported and protruding from the corner. In both the pictured dioramas and the unpictured/non-Metcalfe corner dioramas, the track piece is the same - I cut this at the same time as cutting the four corner pieces and it fits snugly into each concave edge. The track is third radius Setrack, two double curves and an inch or so of straight track at each end. One advantage of using the Peco foam ballast is that this does overlap and conceal the join. 

Anyway, moving on from the 'prologue' ... Atkinson Terrace and Lindley Road:

892889327_Overallhigh.JPG.12bf07bfc79d5d104612c3ff22686dbf.JPG

Where? Well, I grew up in Doncaster, near where 'Open All Hours' was filmed. Viewers of that programme may recall both streets being associated with ladies of 'negotiable' virtue and disconcerting morality. When constructing this diorama, the architecture struck a chord and in the absence of a RM editorial directive as to diorama names, my misplaced sense of humour struck again...

1716291234_Overallreverseangle-low.JPG.c6233d7cfbbd2bce553edf93e4bb122b.JPG

The view probably not seen on a layout at home. But if this was an exhibition layout, it's a natural corner and gives visitors something other than trains to look at. A few figures in cameos would quickly add drama to the scene. When building the model, I tried to add variety to the seemingly relentless repetition of Metcalfe terraced houses - who lived there, were they houseproud harridans or those with more relaxed 'house rules', possibly those 'ladies' without time to keep diaries? 😉  No. 6 is clearly having a day washing curtains (see their back yard). Open windows and doors often tell a story, perhaps one which their inhabitants would rather was untold?

729938393_Backyardsgardens.JPG.9a2732fec19e19f17495edceaf621fc5.JPG

A view of some of the allotments/back gardens, including Busch 'weathered timber' as garden fences. Some birds are visible (OK, just!) on ridge-lines and chimney stacks. (From the Preiser 10169 pack). With a triangular shaped space to fill, the allotments and gardens are irregularly shaped. 

1889853140_Backyardsandcurtains.jpg.70e7995a9fd2ea91045df16cb667ccc7.jpg

A closer view, with him at no. 64's secret reading habit being blown. No. 62 is clearly having a change, whereas no. 60 is happy to let whatever's in his coldframes grow away and keeping the rest of the space for his children/dogs to romp on. No. 58 has more space to play with but his runner beans seem to be doing nicely, if the flowers are anything to go by.

I did add some graphics of my own to some houses, usually variations on blinds and flowers. And I think I might have 'borrowed' some gates from other Metcalfe kits to add some variety to the allotments. Soil was mainly produced using GreenScene textured paint and Treemendus earth, with a pinch of Woodland fine turf (a mix I made of of burnt and yellow grass).

Hens.JPG.f2dd83423e3d054f41f04d898f4aab82.JPG

Another cameo, 'Having a Natter', with two neighbours chatting. A back view of the terraces, with Preiser figures and accessories from Wills, Elmet Images, Unit Models and Tiny Signs giving the scene life. The Wills privy is now used as a store, possibly for chicken feed or garden tools. A nod was made to TV from the west side of the Pennines, with a cat walking along the wall. I wish my sweet peas flowered like that! 

1278091766_Cafegeneral.JPG.7777cf4038a8fc40a5cc91212ae57cdb.JPG

The back view of 'Sid's Caff'. We jump from Open All Hours to Last of the Summer Wine, but I blame Nick Metcalfe, he included Sid's as one of the names for his corner shop kit... A couple of Preiser cyclists add life to the scene, as does the brown 'hound' (possibly a Pontefract Pointer?) and various accessories. 

840882453_Cyclingpasttcaff.JPG.94dedea169f04b5d3bb34ee1ae4c1514.JPG

And a view from the other side. 

1894888915_Overalldiagonal2.JPG.65aa67564b817ed8770e9543fac78de9.JPG

A diagonal view across the diorama, showing the long back gardens some terraced houses had/have, even in cramped urban environments.

2068483559_Rooftopsbackalley.JPG.32a619add21bdd05e4b0b736f3924d1c.JPG

A pigeon's eye view. 

400433462_Northview2.JPG.fe2d7fe8db786e0cd93fd2194f932b43.JPG

On the left-hand side of the diorama, I did not have room for housing or an easily-modelled scene of industry or horticulture, so I used another Doncaster memory and included a memorial garden. It is obviously popular with the local dogs, as you can see from the battle of wills between a dog and its master...

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium

Apologies for the break - I'm afraid there have been some problems demanding my attention over the last few days. 

Back to the countryside today. Some years ago Metcalfe had a push on developing their Town and Country range and wanted a diorama to illustrate as many as possible. (Photos of this are to come shortly). I went up to the office to discuss some options and while there, saw this model of their (at that time) new kits, the PO256 stable block, built by another of their team. (More than one of the Metcalfe regulars were keen equestrians). It's four of those kits built into a courtyard, with some cobbles, self-adhesive paving, a fountain mini kit and a few bits and pieces added to set the scene. 

Card mounted, this diorama was used to promote the kit and the office used to have many small scenes like this and single kits built up - Nick always used to check the instructions and parts on a new kit by building one before it was released. Some of my other memories of Metcalfes were of their cats. When I went for my job interview, it was all quiet when I arrived, so I waited outside in the sun and was joined by one of them. I got 'caught' on my knees petting it... a slightly unconventional start to my time with them! I also remember them snoozing in the office and not always being very fastidious about where. Sadly, I have no photos but one in particular seemed to like to perch on top of some of the made up kits and lean against them while stretching. She knocked a few chimneypots off but otherwise the kits stood up to this very well, with no significant damage done. 

IMG_8912.JPG.adc258c4bcb78473c6267d5cce85ba4b.JPG

Stables.jpg.ed9633ccfebb7a9939a12c80f97f77d3.jpg

1491553404_Stablescourtyard.jpg.c84a178916c0c86cbddc57919834888b.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

And the outcome of that meeting: 

A Dales Village. In contrast to all my other dioramas and layouts, whether for Metcalfe, other clients or myself, I never really named this one. Something-thwaite, something-thorp or Gill ... I toyed with, though none really stood out. Joking aside, I've never had to work at devising names for dioramas, most fell into place without any effort. For some reason this one was different. Anyway, from introspection to the modelling: 

MDV-OA1.jpg.4ce6e1d489714396460082aaea82deda.jpg

These snaps were taken in my workshop, so are not pictures for a magazine article, just a record of the diorama. I did intend to write an article about this model and also approach some of the non-modelling media about publicity but about the time of building this diorama my life started to get a lot more 'complicated' and there just wasn't the time. So as far as I know, other than close-ups that Metcalfes have used for advertising, these are the only pictures published of the model. 

It's another 4 x 2 foot diorama, built on a timber frame with foamboard sides and horizontal 'seams'. I used polystyrene as internal spacing/packing. It was a more complex design brief than previously, as it had to be capable of being displayed as a 4x2 unit or as two 4x1 units. To avoid a sizeable 'faultline' down the middle, there was a lot of work done in creating as close-fitting a join as possible. 

I did think long and hard about gradients and slopes. The problems were both getting the two halves to align closely and also creating good camera angles. I would really have liked to have a village on a hillside but despite playing with various ideas, I could not devise a convincing scene which would still enable the camera angles and flexibility Nick Metcalfe wanted. 

I used multiple kits of the revised Settle & Carlisle cottages, the farm house and barn kits, part of the stable kit shown above, the cafe/shop (one as this, a second as a pub), school and church. The bridge is a small piece of kitbashing - it's supposed to be a retaining wall kit. 

There were no changes to my usual scenic techniques, methods and materials as above... The only addition was Deluxe Materials' water, I'd used that before on several non-Metcalfe dioramas (see my blog for some of these) and was happy to use it again. 

MDV-WE.jpg.cde306b4375ca4618e02c4008fb3f21b.jpg

2029440858_MainStreet.jpg.0cd16e8fd904be05add62db4ed374fa7.jpg

The gap in the side-plates shows where the 'fault-line' is. This is disguised by long grass and the pavement overlapping the tarmac sheets. 

534663016_Churchyard1.jpg.102c3c969d8aef2783190cb3b31b6834.jpg

This view shows the 'rear' half by itself, the 'Danish Blue' appearance of the polystyrene was unintentional and due solely to what B&Q had in stock! There is a timber batten down the full length of the diorama, with a recess at each end to allow an 'end' piece of timber to be slotted and bolted into place to lock the two halves together. The gravestones are from Unit Models' resin cast range, with a couple of graves having floral additions courtesy of a combination of GreenScene's flower scatters. 

1753477307_sandwichweighting.jpg.3aa3dc716212c5b7815d471e99144fab.jpg

An earlier view, showing the 'sandwich' construction of the baseboard before I started carving out the depressions needed for the river valley and footpath. And demonstrating alternative uses for large hardback books ... 

312975786_Churchreverseview.jpg.2554c1e8e07b2c7a86e093aa301a9629.jpg

I thought the farmhouse from the Manor Farm kit would also make a good rectory. 

MDV-BR.jpg.7ffd8698aee1e142b89b5d9f389d69ce.jpg

The river's low, some of the locals might be having a paddle later. By this time, the original viaduct kit had been withdrawn, so I couldn't use that. The bridge and tunnel mouth kits had lengthy arches, too long for my eye so I adapted the retaining wall kit which had four small arches.

I'll post more pictures of this construction and the other end of the main street later. 

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

And some views of the other end:

OA2.jpg.635558021112d85acf5d9ec53ea57a16.jpg

Not the best of frames but as mentioned above, I was running out of time to get decent pictures. The Settle & Carlisle cottages made up the bulk of the ordinary housing, with four pairs being glued together in a long single block. I was able to model different styles of back gardens. I did get through quite a lot of stone sheeting for the walls, both using offcuts and material from the materials packs.

On the left is a partial farmyard/stables, with the manor house and barn glued together as a single block - for those who do not know the Dales, this is relatively common in smaller villages. Part of the stables kit was glued on at right angles and the other element of the barn kit (a shelter/machinery store) was adapted to form the other arm of the visible yard. 

2147300949_middleview5.jpg.3d24e05d1cb60ff16950d8fae2bcd092.jpg

A better frame, showing the upper end of the main street and the sectional construction of this diorama. Including the 'Danish Blue' polystyrene... The large house in the centre (maybe the squires or doctor or lawyer?) was built more or less as per the instructions, the gate I think came from the Metcalfe terraced houses kit. In contrast, the manor house built next to the barn was constructed without the central porch and with one of the rear extensions resited against the gable end. (In the photo below, compare the house in the foreground against that centre left):

IMG_9282.JPG.8a14a25437006080ff0b3af6c8aa7ad7.JPG

Moving down the main street, a view of the village shop and school:

IMG_9246.JPG.07fc9729951228f1872c97d659e72c39.JPG

And then, another view of the rectory and church. The pavement and lychgate assembly does overlap the edge, this was to disguise the join:

IMG_9247.JPG.43284707da70f94db90fa4028d7ad9d9.JPG

600044117_middleview4.jpg.3e500d91fe5f6060db49442ba91c7b4c.jpg

And while the two halves were apart, I took some views of the reverse of the 'front' half:

495797127_middleview1.jpg.778a563186900887481c6ca5a6d799c0.jpg

1436465839_middleview2jpg.jpg.67e4f1e02287c47a464d1ad902d9e30a.jpg

Pub.jpg.7aae8dbd754649111e34a92718f50725.jpg

The pub will be revisited in more detail later but I used the 'shop' kit again, with some variations. There is some 'strategic ambiguity' as to whether it's a pub or a cafe - your choice! Whatever that is, there is a beer garden/outside dining option, courtesy of the picnic table kits. 

1549704174_cottageflashing.jpg.49ea5e114a1beb0a5aac03c45dccbdd4.jpg 

The cottage roofs were given some strips of 'lead' flashing to disguise the joins. I think the usual refinements of painting edges of roof pieces and bargeboards do make a difference. The flowerbeds between cottages varied but are mostly made from GreenScene flower/blossom scatter. I also made use of Treemendus 'soil' powder to simulate dirt and crud in the road gutters and corners, avoiding any risk of a gap between buildings and roads. A line of Woodland's glue along the join and a small pinch of 'soil' powder on the road, brushed into place with a soft lens brush gives a good result. (Just make sure you never use that brush again on your camera lenses!)

footpath.jpg.27a6409136193dce295d393b9cca86b3.jpg

The footpath down to the riverbank, using Treemendus earth powder and an assortment of green scatters, foliage and horsehair. 

Edited by The White Rabbit
clarity
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

And the final batch of pictures of the main diorama. 

MDV-CBG.jpg.ff598ae22f5fc292e0ab14929d418a21.jpg

Round the back of the cottages, a closer look at the rear gardens. I tried to strike a balance between providing some detail and greenery without going mad and drawing attention away from the cottages themselves. I found the self-adhesive paving suitable for gardens as you can easily have greenery overlapping the stones/paving. Unit Models provided some basic accessories - a hen hut and dog kennel - and the runner beans and pea stands are from my own range. Half a dozen different green scatters and some small quantities of Treemendus earth powder were the basis for the background.  

1198953791_Schoolreverseview.jpg.0904dabe48cc7baf557b428478395b1d.jpg

And a view of the school and side street, with a cottage from the farmhouse kit being potentially useful for a school teacher. 

RMW2.jpg.9041910f90d900ba39033a82f0a5be74.jpg

And some different back gardens - I would liked to have added some trees and larger bushes but they would have obscured some views of the kits, so I kept things small. Also, higher walls would have added interest, particularly if I'd been able to use some more contours but I resisted temptation for the same reason.

RMW3.jpg.aa1daf65640a7067eadf7aa3a955e3f1.jpg

And the other angle down the main street, also showing 'Corner Farm'. The cobbles bottom right are on a gradient, it's not an optical illusion but a means to lose some height from the cobbles in front of the stable to a suitable height for the inside of the machinery shelter. This wasn't originally intended but when I had placed the shelter roughly in place, it looked too high compared with the cottages and farm/stables and I needed to lower it half an inch or more. This had a slight 'kitbash' to add two doors and provide a secure store. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

And the store:

As supplied, it builds up to an open structure with two similarly sized enclosures. I built it from the start as an adapted model, though mainly in accordance with the instructions. After playing with two doors (pinched from the farm buildings kit - more on this in a few posts time) arranged to show a sliding door configuration, I located the middle wall and glued it in place. I used an old children's building block to act as a right angle and spacer. I didn't try modelling any interior clutter, though it's an easy improvement to make. 

In the background, two of my crayons which I used to colour the edges. I've used artists' crayons and paint in the past but keep coming back to the remnants of my childhood crayons. Cheap and effective. 

TSC1.jpg.5a3d909e77d3cc6ef62deac1745eafa3.jpg

TSC3.jpg.c4a7bb29f880eab105f1d7e3cb0e35b7.jpg

TSC4.jpg.8f599fa5b2cd24a0eb70ffb736bf295f.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Did you do any of the early kits where nothing was pre-cut and they supplied a scalpel?

part of my lockdown work was doing both the original stationmaster's house and the re-release.  photos will probably not follow.

• Like 1